Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sustainable design
About EcoDesigner, Energy Evaluation, Life Cycle Assessment, etc.

Ecodesigner star question?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I posted a thread/question about Ecodesigner Star and how it handles shading, and I see that its gone, been removed.

Any reason for this?
39 REPLIES 39
Anonymous
Not applicable
Talking about the cavity (there are details in the zone stamp in the plan, i hope it's visible).
When i try to update the zone i get this (image).
What does it mean? i tried different solutions on how to place the zone in the cavity. you may notice the geometry of the foundation grade beam (inverted T). Now, how should the zone be placed? attached to the vertical part, or as i did on the edge of that grade beam?

i even tried placing multiple zones, to cover the whole geometry, but then i got many uncovered areas.
Anonymous
Not applicable
These are main problems, i'm not going into deep detailing. I would just need to know how to get a proper energy evaluation with this type of building, which i know it is supposed to have very low need of energy (it should come around 20/30 kWh/sqm yr.

i just did it and it comes 98. not bad, but still....
Energy.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
franfef wrote:
These are main problems, i'm not going into deep detailing. I would just need to know how to get a proper energy evaluation with this type of building, which i know it is supposed to have very low need of energy (it should come around 20/30 kWh/sqm yr.

i just did it and it comes 98. not bad, but still....
Hi Franfef,

I live in Australia and we use R-values so U-values is like another language to me
apart from High U values (avg U 0.21 = R 4.76), have you checked
1. Profile setting and light?
2. Weather data? are you using Default weather data that comes from Strusoft weather data? Try TMY weather data from link below.
http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/energyplus/cfm/weather_data3.cfm/region=6_europe_wmo_region_6...
3. Check your building system. are you using any mechanical heating/cooling/ventilation?

cheers,
Anonymous
Not applicable
franfef wrote:
Talking about the cavity (there are details in the zone stamp in the plan, i hope it's visible).
What does it mean? i tried different solutions on how to place the zone in the cavity. you may notice the geometry of the foundation grade beam (inverted T). Now, how should the zone be placed? attached to the vertical part, or as i did on the edge of that grade beam?

i even tried placing multiple zones, to cover the whole geometry, but then i got many uncovered areas.
I assume your definition of "Cavity" is the subfloor right?
If you have complex boundary like inverted T shape footings, then place a zone prism and use Solid element operation to cut the structures.
Hope this answers your question.
SEO.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
franfef wrote:

According to ArchiCAD help guide, that warning sign means.
"The Zone you are trying to update cannot be properly adjusted, because it has difficulty in finding all of its edges. Click the Zoom to Selected Zones button to find the Zone. Fix the problem and repeat the update process."
Anonymous
Not applicable
hi Kevin,
i'm trying to proceed with solid operation, but it seems not to work on zones..u think it's possible??
Just to make sure i was doing the right operation i tried to do it with a slab, and that it worked out.
With the zone, if a check the 3D the geometry doesn't change, and updating i get always the same alert sign.
Plus, the screen u posted, is it a zone? how can u show both zones and construction elements? if i marquee an area the zone is not visible.

EDIT: i managed to solve the solid operation issue. i was setting the level of the zone as "absolute value" from Zero level, when instead it was referred to its storey level! (but since i was not able to have a reference on the structure i couldn't see the mistake!) that's why i'd like to know how to view zones in 3D with some other elements! 😉 EDIT of this: when the solid operation is done, ok result is fine. as soon as i "update zones" the zone shrink its volume and loses its shape. When i click ok it it shows that solid operations are in progress even if not.

EDIT 2: i have another question. some internal walls are defined as "external" in the structures panel when they actually are internal. how do i solve? Plus, the same element is considered both as internal and external, north and south facing!

EDIT 3: I put the use as residential. the thing is: i have an internal car park (garage, in the zone labels in the plans of the first attachement). i don't need that area to be heated. is it possible to set this parameter?
Schermata 2013-06-15 a 00.20.34.png
David Maudlin
Rockstar
franfef wrote:
Plus, the screen u posted, is it a zone? how can u show both zones and construction elements? if i marquee an area the zone is not visible.
Check the Filter and Cut Elements in 3D dialog box, the default setting has the Zone off.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
Check the Filter and Cut Elements in 3D dialog box, the default setting has the Zone off.
Ok, it works, but even if the set material is glass blue, in 3D it appears as a solid dark opaque volume. Does it have to do with the zone typology? (e.g. gross area, residential, etc)
David Maudlin
Rockstar
franfef wrote:
David wrote:
Ok, it works, but even if the set material is glass blue, in 3D it appears as a solid dark opaque volume. Does it have to do with the zone typology? (e.g. gross area, residential, etc)
Look at the 3D Window Settings > Transparency in Shading for either Internal Engine or OpenGL.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
franfef wrote:
hi Kevin,
i'm trying to proceed with solid operation, but it seems not to work on zones..u think it's possible??
Just to make sure i was doing the right operation i tried to do it with a slab, and that it worked out.
With the zone, if a check the 3D the geometry doesn't change, and updating i get always the same alert sign.

EDIT: i managed to solve the solid operation issue. i was setting the level of the zone as "absolute value" from Zero level, when instead it was referred to its storey level! (but since i was not able to have a reference on the structure i couldn't see the mistake!) that's why i'd like to know how to view zones in 3D with some other elements! 😉 EDIT of this: when the solid operation is done, ok result is fine. as soon as i "update zones" the zone shrink its volume and loses its shape. When i click ok it it shows that solid operations are in progress even if not.

EDIT 2: i have another question. some internal walls are defined as "external" in the structures panel when they actually are internal. how do i solve? Plus, the same element is considered both as internal and external, north and south facing!

EDIT 3: I put the use as residential. the thing is: i have an internal car park (garage, in the zone labels in the plans of the first attachement). i don't need that area to be heated. is it possible to set this parameter?
Hi franfef

Edit 2. As long as your wall's reference side and non reference side are touching(connected) with the zone block, It will recognise it as an internal wall. zoom close into the wall see if it does.

Edit 3. In AC16 no and AC17 yes. you can still place conditional zones in AC16 only and disregard garage space by hiding or deleting garage zone from the model, but again your internal garage wall will be now become an external wall. With AC17, you can assign garage to "unconditioned" thermal block.