Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sustainable design
About EcoDesigner, Energy Evaluation, Life Cycle Assessment, etc.

Energy Review from Single Glaze to Double Glaze.

ChYJane
Participant

Hello all,

I'm currently working on a simulation study for building window comparison between single and double glaze in tropical country. Currently, I'm facing some issues with the result. It shows an increase of net cooling energy needed when I change the window glass from single glaze tinted to double glaze tinted. Theoretically, changing from single-glazed to double-glazed should provide better insulation and energy efficiency, which can lead to lower heating and cooling costs. I'm purely looking at the cooling demand hence I did not tick on any field in the internal heat gain in the operational profile 
Have I missed any settings I need to be done? 

Operating system used: Windows

2 REPLIES 2
Camila_BGA
Participant

Hi, 

I don't know the details of the project, but sometimes, if you replace single by double glazing, your building may have higher requirements of AC to cool the space overnight, due the reduction of heat loosing through the glass. If you have a glazed façade exposed to sunlight, your building may accumulate more heat by radiance, but loose the ability of naturally  release that heat through the glass once he temperature lows. That may explain in some cases the higher requirement of energy associated to AC.

You can check a passive solution to protect those well isolated windows from direct radiation.

I'm curious, I would like to know how you go.

Hi Camila, 
I do agree that the chances of the building may be higher due to the setting only changes the glass component. Although the U-value is lower, but I have realise that the infiltration % still remain the same. Hence, I'm also assuming on that the requirement of cooling demand is higher due to this reason. However, I do not have any reference I could refer for this. 

Currently, I'm just looking at singular item change which is the glass panel of the building, no resizing of the window. 

Setup info provided by author