Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Creating a custom light source in 9.0

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to create custom light sources for use with LightWorks that will actually cast light. Specifically long tubes, thin slabs, etc. that I can place to cast an even glow from under slabs, behind walls.. I've looked through all the LW materials settings, and downloaded shaders from the LW web site, but cannot determine how to create a material that actually casts illumination. Can this be done?

Don
21 REPLIES 21
Karl Ottenstein
You probably want to create lamp objects. The post below has links to part of what you need to read, besides the GDL manual. Duplicating and modifying existing lamps may be the fastest way to proceed.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=25077#25077

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Karl,

Thanks for the response. I've done a bit of research with the info you supplied, and I am beginning to think that what I would like to do is not possible. All of the archicad light sources/objects appear to be point light sources (spots, bulbs, sun, etc.) that cast circular cones of light. What I was hoping to do was create a "light tube" of editable length (eg a flourescent tube that I could stretch to 40') that would cast an even glow. The only way I can see to do this, would be to multiply many general light sources like a string of closely spaced christmas lights.

Has anyone come up with a good method of casting an even glow from behind walls, or under slabs?

Thanks,

Don
Dwight
Newcomer
general light sources don't cast shadows.

Use the window light at high resolution.
It tilts fine.
Two or three of them overlapping might give you enough juice to be really bright.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
please take a moment to experiment and post the result.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Strip lights are a 'problem' in Archicad. They also were in ArtLantis (4.0). Dunno if the newer AL resolves this?

Long thin window lights (grouped) sorta solve the problem - but this kind of 'subtle' lighting is probably better resolved in Cinema or equivalent.

But with no radiosity the LW render time is fairly quick.

- Stuart

PS. Sorry about the moire (is it an accident that this word rhymes with mire?) in the below but you get the idea... (45 second rendering)
Untitled.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stuart & Dwight, thanks for the tips. Looks like LW window lights will do the trick. I'll post a rendering once I get results that I am happy with.

Dwight - Anxiously awaiting your LW book

Don
Dwight
Newcomer
have the material - hoping for the time.
Dwight Atkinson
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I am quite disappointed that GS has not implemented all light source types as they are defined in original Light Works add-on.

Don,
check this link out. It is exactly what you are after but unfortunately still not implemented in AC, maybe it will get there with next version:

http://download.graphisoft.com/ftp/techsupport/documentation/developer_docs/BasicLibraryDoc/LightWor...
::rk
Dwight
Newcomer
May I suggest the wishlist
Dwight Atkinson