cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Fireplace!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello.!

Can anyone help me create a nice looking fireplace.

How do you make a "3d" fire.?

I have attached a picture to use as an example

Martin

fireplace.jpg
10 REPLIES 10
Dwight
Newcomer
Aside from any special fire objects that might be found, a picture of fire does the trick:

1: Get the picture
2: mask out the non-flame part - feather the mask for good flame edges.
3: place several thin walls in the fireplace - overlapping and curvy - be artistic.
4: Apply the fire image to the walls as a material. Adjust height of image map with the "Align 3D Texture" command.
5:Rotate fireplace control knob for authenticity. If the viewer sees a fireplace set to "off" and flames, too, they will know it is fake.
6: A spark screen in front of the flames scrims the flame image for more realism.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the advice.!

1. Is it possible to use billboards instead of walls, why do you use walls.?

2. The "fire pictures", I thought it is was nesserary to use a file with alpha channel..?

3. The customer wants a glass panel in front of the fire place from both sides, is it possible to make it some other way, so the rendering still looks ok.?

4. I have one picture of a fire, se the attached file. It is with white color around the fire. The picture has to be transparent around the fire right.?

Martin
ild.jpg
Dwight
Newcomer
We use walls so the fire image can be sinuous and irregular.

You need to learn the masking/alpha channel function in a photo editor.

This fire is too active for a fireplace. This is not a calm, sit-by-the-fire-with-your-sweetie fire, it is a die-witch-die fire. You can easily mask the white to transparent in a photo editor.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, I will give it a try.!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have found a picture which I thinks look ok. Without doing the things you told me. See attached file.

I will try to make a fire like you told me, so I can se how big a differens there is.!

It is as you know, a little more hard work to do it the photoshopic way...

Your are welcome to post your comments on my rendering..!

Martin
Dwight
Newcomer
Floor board pattern obviously repeats. Make individual boards with about four different darknesses.

Horizontal grain on doors and windows. Archicad problem - make a 90 degree rotated material.

Typical lightworks scene lighting have vague blackness, unearthly greeniness and icy blueness. Add more color to lights. Add general brighteners to reduce blackness in shadows.

Fire is flat. Recess it into the opening - make it a constant reflectance surface to avoid shadow.

Strange, empty floor space near red furniture? Is this a house or a showroom?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you very much for your comments.!

I have one light cone upwards with a light yellowish color in the room. And then I have several window lights with also light yellowish colors. On the windows, and also inside the room in different corners.

The general light, is that the yellowish color, or the blueish to give the best result.?

Yes I have a big space in the middle, I think I need a chair or something there.!

And yes it is a a house and not a showroom.!

Martin
Dwight
Newcomer
adding yellow is the ticket.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Which type of picture file is recommended for use for the fire tiff or jpg. I have made a picture in photoshop in both jpg and tiff..?.

Can you tell me the settings for transparancy in lightworks.?