Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Trouble exporting AC 3D view to MAYA for OSX

rm
Advisor
Inspired by Ivan's spectacular photo realistic renderings, and disapointed with Art-lantis 4.5.6 lack of radiosity abilities, I downloaded Maya PLE for OSX and C4D to demos to try out their rendering abilities, and ease of use, or lack there of.

I installed both demo programs and they launch just fine in OSX 10.3.4.

So I exported a model that I have recentlly completed in AC 8.1 the latest build, and exported a 3D view using the default settings for both 3Dstudio ( which C4D just fine ) and Maya.

The .3ds file took about 3 minutes to process as this is a fairly complex model, same for saving as an Artlantis 4.5.6. file.

The Maya export simply hangs after creating about 3 different AC scratch files. I tried the same file on three different G4s same problem. It just seems to get stuck in processing hell. I get the little colored spinnig ball.....and nothing.

Is this a bug with the export plugin for MAYA in AC....or is there an obvious technique I am missing.

BTW, I saved from a 3d perspective view with the Open GL shaded mode.

Using OSX 10.3.4 on G4s...........any tips or help would be appreciated.

TIA,
Architects Design Forum, Ltd.

Robert Mariani
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable
Try export as .3ds or .obj. Import into Maya (you might have to activate necessary plugins in Maya).
rm
Advisor
Miki wrote:
Try export as .3ds or .obj. Import into Maya (you might have to activate necessary plugins in Maya).
Miki, thanks for the reply. .3ds definately does not get recognized into Maya PLE version. Do you know how to activate the plugins in Maya?

I will also try exporting to the .obj, though I don't remember that as being an option.

Thanks again,

Robert Mariani
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Anonymous
Not applicable
It should be as "Wavefront File (*.obj)".
Activation: Window -> Setting/Preferences -> Plug-in Manager.
Unfortunantly I cannot say what options You have on OSX .
rm
Advisor
Miki wrote:
It should be as "Wavefront File (*.obj)".
Activation: Window -> Setting/Preferences -> Plug-in Manager.
Unfortunantly I cannot say what options You have on OSX .
Miki,
Thanks again. I was able to create the (.obj) file saving as a Wavefront file. Actually it creates both a .obj file, and .mtl file. After trying to import into Maya PLE v5, I got an error message that the file was not readable. Then a suggestion to "import" is given. Tried that, nothing.

Don't know if this is a problem with the way AC writes the file, or if Maya is acting up. Have to say C4d imported the .3ds file quite seamlessly...the interface seams like it requires more time than Maya, at first blush.

Thanks again,

Robert Mariani
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
rm wrote:
Inspired by Ivan's spectacular photo realistic renderings, and disapointed with Art-lantis 4.5.6 lack of radiosity abilities, I downloaded Maya PLE for OSX and C4D to demos to try out their rendering abilities, and ease of use, or lack there of.

I had similar difficluties exporting AC 8.1 .3ds files to use with the 3D max 6 Demo with Vray. I was able to make it work very well by changing the save as settings in AC and then importing that file into 3D Max, then saving as a .max file. I was not able to get the Vray add on to work with the Demo version yet.
settings.jpg

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Next art*lantis version will have radiosity and a lot of new features.

beta version is scheduled for september
rm
Advisor
Retirado wrote:
Next art*lantis version will have radiosity and a lot of new features.

beta version is scheduled for september

Retirado,

Thats a funny one, thank you for starting my Sunday off with a few laughs!!!!!!

Pardon my skepticism, I'v used artlantis since v2.5......all I can say is the sample they have been posting so far on their site doe not even come close to Maya or Vray quality of lighting. All things equal, in fairness to Abvent, Artlantis IS easy to use, but it is VERY time consuming to get anywhere near realistic lighting into a scene.

I would love to have a radiosity solution from them that was "near" photo quality, easy GUI, no aberrations with the same texture applied to any one set of parallel planes displaying at different scales ( what a joke this is ) and last but not least stability. 4.5.6 is SO easy to crash when working with multiple ligthts to try to fake "radiosity"

......don't flame or blame me, you brought Artlantis into this post and it really was not the focus of this post.

Regards,

Robert Mariani
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Anonymous
Not applicable
rm wrote:
Inspired by Ivan's spectacular photo realistic renderings, -clip- I downloaded Maya PLE for OSX and C4D to demos to try out their rendering abilities, and ease of use, or lack there of.

Robert, I would sincerely encourage you to explore C4D fully. You mention that you think the interface is difficult to use, maybe if everything is showing, you can quickly customize it to your personal options. There are example models to play with also in the ArchiCAD-C4D Workflow thread.

Mark
Anonymous
Not applicable
for PC have 15000 options for convert 3D models form 3DS DXF DWG and many more like

http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/

http://www.pluginz.com/news/113

but on MAC i dont know i search but i not find .( sorry

you can search too

www.google.com 3DS INPORT MAYA OS X
http://www.highend3d.com
http://www.3dcafe.com/asp/software2.asp