Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instances

Roman-PS
Booster

EVERY CAD/BIM/3D software has this essential feature - why doesn't ArchiCAD?
There was a discussion in one of the beta tests years ago about enabling this, at least based on favorites (if you change a favorite, all placed "instances" of this favorite will be updated, too. Of course, there should be options to exclude (override) defined elements.

[Topic title edited by moderator to remove ALL CAPS]

19 Comments
Roman-PS
Booster

@ Nader

Mind your language and be respectful.

Thank you.

Nader
Enthusiast

@Roman-PS 

I didn't overstepped my limits nor did I tried to be disrespectful, and right now I´m the one who is already giving you the cheat sheet

Nader
Enthusiast

@Roman-PS 

Continuing to what I was saying, Favorites right now, is just a predefined desired saved settings for Archicad's elements. It's a nice to have feature, specially when you want a number of people work with a predefined set of elements that were predefined either by the project designer, project adminstrator or the BIM Manager, etc.

The problem is Favourites do not get linked with the elements that has been used in the project file, and when you put it the relation is ended (a unidirectional relation)

In case of linked Favourites, not only the setting of the elements will be saved, but those elements will be referenced back to the Favourite that placed them (in terms of explanation it's a stretch but you get the idea), so a bi-directional relation is created, change the main, and all the subsequents will adopt the required change.

Roman-PS
Booster

Yes, globally, in a technical way it is called instances, no matter how the software of choice is called. The "linked favorite" concept was mentioned already in the wish description above.

Nader
Enthusiast

@Roman-PS 

A clearer example of what I´m trying to say, is actually found in Archicad's IFC Project Manager window.

I find it extremely easy to manager all the settings of the elements by instance, but setting their Type (IfcType), that is another story

sh
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner

This seems all like nitpicking to me. Call it whatever you like "linked favorites", "Types" like in Revit, or "Styles" like in Vectorworks. but I think the point is that it is an understandable and extremely useful wish for all of us. No need for livelong discussions.

Roman-PS
Booster

@sh:
Thank you!

Absolutely right!

hrovat
Participant

100% agree, it's kind of embarrassing Archicad doesn't have functionality like this. Hotlinks/modules or objects just don't cut it.

rakurs
Contributor

Personally, I don't think Favorites should be a part of this - maybe I want something to be "instanced" throughout the project, without it being a Favorite? I find Favorites not very usable in my workflow, but I know many many users are thankful for the feature.

Status
Open

with 27/200 Votes 7.407407407407%

Wish details