cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.

APX addon file not working with AC24 on Mac

dushyant
Enthusiast
When I try to build an example from the v24 API Kit, the Product is a .bundle file. Whereas when I build a custom addon using the template from the kit, the Product is an APX file. And on loading the addon in Archicad24, I get the following error in the Addon Manager: "The file is either not an Add-On or an outdated one that cannot be used with this ARCHICAD version."
4 REPLIES 4
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
The extension isn't the problem - either apx or bundle will work fine.

The message "file is either not an Add-On or an outdated one" is a catch-all for "something went wrong loading this add-on", i.e. it doesn't point to a specific problem. There can be many causes for that error - I suggest watching the console output while Archicad is starting up to see if there is a specific report when your add-on is loaded. It might point to a specific problem.

Does the add-on include the required MDID resource etc?
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
dushyant
Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply Ralph.

Yes, it seems the extension is not an issue, as now I tested both .apx and .bundle addons working with Archicad-24 on Mac.

The problem with the addon at my end got resolved by restoring the default template from the API kit. I had edited it earlier by replacing the relative path with absolute path to the libraries / headers in the API kit. (This works on windows visual-studio though.)
Does the add-on include the required MDID resource etc?
Yes.
I suggest watching the console output while Archicad is starting up to see if there is a specific report when your add-on is loaded. It might point to a specific problem.
Console of Xcode or the OS? In case of Xcode do you mean debugging mode? Can we track realtime debug messages from Archicad in the `Terminal`?
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
dushyant wrote:
Console of Xcode or the OS? In case of Xcode do you mean debugging mode? Can we track realtime debug messages from Archicad in the `Terminal`?
Either Console or Xcode can be used, but it's easiest to watch in Xcode when you launch a debugging session. Search/filter the console output for your add-on name to see if any specific errors are reported when it attempts to load the add-on. It's helped me in the past when an add-on didn't load.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
dushyant
Enthusiast
Ok. Thanks!