Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.
SOLVED!

How to get Element Type Category Name from api?

bharat_hs_nct
Contributor

Hello All, 

I'm working on a project in which there is a requirement to list all element types(walls, columns, etc) (similar to Families in Revit) and their sub-categories.

It would be a great help if you suggest on how to get the element category labels from API which are marked in the attached image. 

For example,

Element_Category_Names.png

I would like to get the names of Wall categories like Generic Exterior Wall, Generic Interior Wall,  etc.

Thank you for the support

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Viktor Kovacs
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

There are element types, and Favorites for each element type. To see the list of element types check the APIdefs_Elements.h file in the development kit and see the values of the API_ElemTypeID enum. To get the Favorites for an element type use the ACAPI_Favorite_GetNum and ACAPI_Favorite_Get functions.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Viktor Kovacs
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Those are called Favorites in Archicad and they work differently than Revit Types. Favorites are stored settings for a certain Element type and you can use these settings when creating a new Element. After the Element is created there is no connection to the original Favorite.

This is a great starting point for handling Favorites from the API:

https://graphisoft.github.io/archicad-api-devkit/group___favorite.html

Thanks for the reply Viktor,

I understand that they are not exactly as Revit Families but I just wanted to confirm that whether all element types are listed in 'Favorites' window or just user selected.

In case all element types are not listed here, where can I access them with the names and subcategories?

What I'm expecting would be similar to the attached image of example of Revit families and subtypes. 

Like: Wall >

Generic Exterior Wall

Generic Interior Wall

Thanks in advance .

Revit_Families_Example.png

Solution
Viktor Kovacs
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

There are element types, and Favorites for each element type. To see the list of element types check the APIdefs_Elements.h file in the development kit and see the values of the API_ElemTypeID enum. To get the Favorites for an element type use the ACAPI_Favorite_GetNum and ACAPI_Favorite_Get functions.

Thank you for the confirmation.