BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

how to add "Bookmarks" to the BIMx model in Google Cardboard

rob2218
Enthusiast
So...I've noticed that on some of the explanations on how to use the BIMx in conjunction with Google Cardboard, there seem to be some graphics which imply you can add "bookmarks" to the model so you can zoom to those areas of the model while viewing it in the Google Cardboard mode...but how and at what point do you create these "bookmarks"?
During the publishing within Archicad?
during the Google Cardboard viewing?
where?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
9 REPLIES 9
They are just a camera. Every camera you place becomes a bookmark
rob2218
Enthusiast
anyway you could elaborate a bit more on what those procedures are?
I have "views" created which are located through diff parts of the house. Now...I have a publisher set set up to only publish the 3D model. that's what creates my BIMx model and posts it to the cloud for downloading.

How do I get the views "cameras" to go with that model?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Stress Co_
Advisor
Rob:
The saved "views" have to be created with the camera tool.
The cameras are created in the "3D" folder of the project map.
Save the cameras (individual or in a path) to the view map.

In publisher, add the saved camera "views" to your BimX publisher set.

Here is some info.... but it may be more confusing.
Add-camera-views-to-the-bimx-model
Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 7.13.25 PM.png
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
rob2218
Enthusiast
thanks Marc,
I've never created "views" with "cameras" before. Ive merely gone into my 3D mode in Archicad, then using the orbiter rotated around the model until I got the desired view I wanted. Then I'd adjust the sun angle and azmith until the shading looked right for the view (whether it was true to where North was or not) and I'd merely 'save view" as whatever.

So...I've never "create a view via a camera" if you will.
I tried to "add" those saved views I create to my publisher set I had setup for my "BIMx" that i was publishing to the cloud but it seemed to increase my model BIMx file output size by 10 fold.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Stress Co_
Advisor
rob2218 wrote:
Ive merely gone into my 3D mode in Archicad, then using the orbiter rotated around the model until I got the desired view I wanted.
Then I'd adjust the sun angle and azmith until the shading looked right for the view and I'd merely 'save view" as whatever.
You can still do this with cameras.
First place the camera.
Open the camera's viewpoint by dbl.clicking the camera in the project map.
Orbit the view, adjust the sun, layers, etc.
Right click the camera in the project map and
"Modify this camera to current view".
Save it as a view.

I don't know about file size.
Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 7.27.02 PM.png
Marc Corney, Architect

rob2218
Enthusiast
See, so even if I post "cameras" and publish the "cameras" it will still multiply the file size by as many cameras as I have thinking that it's quadrupoling the file size.
Not only is this not necessary but when I send this link to the client now they have to download a file that is 4X the size of when it was when it didn't have "cameras" included in the publishing set to the BIMx cloud.

Why must the process of publishing to the cloud to include "cameras" increase the file size that much when it's the same model being shown over and over and over again, just from different view vantages?

I don't get it.
I like the feature in the BIMx to add the "cameras" but not at the risk of bloating my BIMx file to 4X the size it's originally at.....shame.

i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
rob2218 wrote:
See, so even if I post "cameras" and publish the "cameras" it will still multiply the file size by as many cameras as I have thinking that it's quadrupoling the file size.
Not only is this not necessary but when I send this link to the client now they have to download a file that is 4X the size of when it was when it didn't have "cameras" included in the publishing set to the BIMx cloud.

Why must the process of publishing to the cloud to include "cameras" increase the file size that much when it's the same model being shown over and over and over again, just from different view vantages?

I don't get it.
I like the feature in the BIMx to add the "cameras" but not at the risk of bloating my BIMx file to 4X the size it's originally at.....shame.

You are saving a model per camera thus the increased file size. You need a single camera path with multiple views in that single path. Find your view in 3d. Then go to the menu bar click view then 3d navigation extras, the add camera to path. I have like ten cameras per bimx with no where near that much increase in file size
You don't need to publish the camera with the bimx just the 3d model. If the Camera path is on then it will be part of the bimx
Stress Co_
Advisor
Thanks for the clarification James.
I'd no idea.
You don't even have to save the cameras to the view map.

Rob: Sorry if I confused you.
Marc Corney, Architect

Learn and get certified!