BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

AC File Converters not working due to QuickTime

I have some older files I would like to open, however the file converters don't run because they are requiring QuickTime which they claim isn't installed on my system. (Error message: " QuickTime is outdated or missing.") However, it is clearly installed. I also have tried installing older versions of QuickTime with no success.

Any insight into how to get these file converters to work?
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
5 REPLIES 5
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Richard,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. I have only heard of this once previously in the past 12 months. Installing Quicktime 7 was the solution for that user. Also, the problem may be that anti-virus software or some firewall might be causing this. That is the one variable that is wide-ranging amongst computers and can cause strange things to happen from computer to computer.

For reference: I have a Windows 8.1 computer that I use daily. It has Quicktime 7 installed. I have the built-in Windows Defender and Firewall for on-board security. I have uninstalled and installed the ArchiCAD 7, 9 and 10 Converters multiple times in testing with no Quicktime errors. I have also done the same with multiple Windows computers with previous operating systems.

Best regards,
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Thanks, Nick. I will verify the QuickTime version when I get back to the office, and try turning off the anti-virus software.

I am confused by one point, though. You mention "installing and uninstalling" the converters. My understanding is that the converters essentially are just copied and run as-is without an installation. Did I miss an installation requirement somewhere?
Richard
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Richard,

Correct. I am using the "uninstall/re-install" terms too loosely. Thanks for catching me on that since I am sure it would confuse others as well. Basically you extract the contents to a folder onto your system. Although, not necessary, I recommend putting the folders in the location they would be had they been installed with a traditional method.

For example, on a Windows 64-bit system ArchiCAD 7,9 or 10 would be installed in C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Graphisoft\ArchiCAD xx (where xx is the version of ArchiCAD).

Best regards,
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Nick,
One last question comes to mind. On a 64-bit system, do these need to be run in Compatibility Mode? (say, Windows XP?)
Richard
Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Richard wrote:
Nick,
One last question comes to mind. On a 64-bit system, do these need to be run in Compatibility Mode? (say, Windows XP?)
Richard,

no, there is no need for Compatibility mode.

Marton
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT
Learn and get certified!