Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Base Quantities with IFC export

stefan
Expert
I was wondering which elements are actually capable of receiving Base Quantities upon IFC export?

E.g. a column exported as IfcColumn has Base Quantities, but when classified as IfcPile, the same column does not carry Base Quantities.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
3 REPLIES 3
stefan
Expert
Is this a limitation in ARCHICAD or a limitation in the IfcElementQuantities class? I don't think that IFC is limiting us here.
An IfcElementQuantity defines a set of derived measures of an element's physical property. Elements could be spatial structure elements (like buildings, storeys, or spaces) or building elements (like walls, slabs, finishes). The IfcElementQuantity gets assigned to the element by using the IfcRelDefinesByProperties relationship.
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I asked this from the guys at GS HQ and they told me this is a limitation of IFC.
So yes, an IfcColumn has base quantities, but an IfcPile does not:

http://www.buildingsmart-tech.org/ifc/IFC2x3/TC1/html/ifcsharedbldgelements/lexical/ifccolumn.htm
http://www.buildingsmart-tech.org/ifc/IFC2x3/TC1/html/ifcstructuralelementsdomain/lexical/ifcpile.ht...

BuildingSmart documentation contains these informations about what IFC Element has what kind of Base Quantity information in it. ARCHICAD then has to implement these capabilities/limitations to be IFC-compliant.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
stefan
Expert
OK. I see. I can understand this, but it is a bit unfortunate, as we now may have to populate custom IFC-fields with these quantities (I think I can map them from the IFC Scheme manager).

Solibri calculates quantities when loading, but that occurs outside of the IFC file. SimpleBIM also calculates quantities and can store them as custom property sets.

But these are not a real solution for our case (allowing architects to upload IFC models with quantities for LCA evaluation).
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book