BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Exporting to XML from a 3D modeling program

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm writing an export script to export models from a 3D modeling software to ArchiCAD's XML GDL (which I then convert to .gsm with LP_XMLConverter) format and I got a few problems.

First I'm not sure this is the best way to go at it? Would it be possible to export straight to .gsm?

Secondly I've tried to generate GUID's (UNID in XML) automatically but it seems this is not possible and the GUID's aren't valid. The problems seems to be with the Ancestry GUID's.

I guess I'm doing something the XML format wasn't meant for..
2 REPLIES 2
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
durriken wrote:
I'm writing an export script to export models from a 3D modeling software to ArchiCAD's XML GDL (which I then convert to .gsm with LP_XMLConverter) format and I got a few problems.
I'd be hesitant to use this approach. In theory, this could work well. The main problem is compliance with the schema - I don't think it's open/published. Most of it can easily be deduced, but the there are some aspects that might present serious obstacles.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
durriken wrote:
I'd be hesitant to use this approach. In theory, this could work well. The main problem is compliance with the schema - I don't think it's open/published. Most of it can easily be deduced, but the there are some aspects that might present serious obstacles.
Yes it does seem so. The LP_XMLConverter's documentation has some information about the format (dtd and XML-schema) but it doesn't really explain everything I need.

Maybe I'd be better off exporting to another format.
Learn and get certified!