BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Help with Exporting to Vectorworks

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Twice in the the last week if been asked to export to Vectorworks 2020.

2D
The file needs to be editable at the other end. I tried the "editable export" from AC 22 without changing any settings. Apparently the file is a mess and is not editable in Vectorworks. I have asked support for their advise but thought I would throw a line out here to see if anyone has any experience with this.

3D
I tried an IFC from AC 22. I don't think there was much joy with that either.

Its hard to understand whats happening on the other side, as I don't use Vectorworks.. and I can't really pop round to their office given social distancing.

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think the request itself for the file to be editable in Vectorworks is the problem here. Anyone familiar with data exchange between BIM applications knows that this is not something that can be expected. Applications and their data structures are just so different. Some elements and geometries may go through properly, but it cannot be reasonably expected that all will.
You should just create the IFC model and they should use it as a reference model.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Brett Brown
Advocate
Central Innovation has just done a series of 9 IFC collaboration videos on Youtube. Should answer your questions.
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Laszio. Yes that is the feedback I have just received, everything is exploded and not easily edited.
Brett. Thanks for the tip. I didn't think that Vectorworks worked with ifc. Support said that its possible to export an entire project both 2d & 3d with one ifc file... which would be great.

Will post back if I get anywhere.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, Vectorworks does support IFC, both their IFC 2x3 Export and Import are certified by buildingSMART, and just as other companies of the Nemetschek Group, they are also proponents of OPEN BIM:

https://technical.buildingsmart.org/services/certification/ifc-certification-participants/

IFC is your best bet for file exchange between the two applications.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!