BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IFC export

Anonymous
Not applicable
we are users of Revit MEP and for one of our clients who uses Archicad we have to import IFC files. for one project the IFC file we obtained from our client contained 72 unresolvable errors mainly "unjoin elements" and were not able to open the model. Any insight how to fix the errors?
best!
zacoolm
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's tough if you can't open the model. Is Revit by any chance able to show you any of the errors? (I know it's a long shot, I usually get the "no view available" response.) Usually the unjoin errors aren't critical. I'm surprised it's preventing the file from opening.

Does it open in an IFC viewer? If you haven't tried yet I find both Solibri Model Viewer and Tekla BIMsight to be quite good for this.

Edit: If all else fails you can break up the model by exporting it in pieces to see which ones give you problems. It would probably be easiest to do this by layers in a binary search. Export half the layers. If the problem exists export half of that. Otherwise export half of the other layers. Continue by halves until the problem layers are isolated. You can then continue the process with the elements on those layers. If it's a big model this could get a bit tedious. Make notes as you go so you remember how the layers are split up and which are creating problems.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
There is a Revit Add-In that you can download from the following page:

http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/downloads/interoperability/

Its purpose is to improve the quality of the IFC file in Revit before importing/exporting from/to ArchiCAD.
Please try it to see if it helps.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
thank you! i did downlload the plugin and it did help reduce the errors but the model finally opened up! thank you for all of your help!
Learn and get certified!