Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Libraries

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello
I'm getting kind of tired having to load my libraries each time i work on a new computer. I work normally on an office computer but also allot of my work is done from home. Being the sole architect in our firm i don't need to share the archicad file with others so a teamwork option is not the best for me. This BIM server can i link my two work computers to each other threw it and have the libraries there so i don't have to relink them every time i change?
is there a better way?
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
You don't say if you are using Windows or Mac OS.
I can only talk about the Windows side of things.

Without getting into BIMserver/teamwork you can do it two ways.

If you can access your office network from home then you can set all your computers to load the library from the same source - i.e. the same server.
Just make sure the file path is the same from all machines.
If you connect via a server name/folder path (i.e. \\server\share_folder\library) then make sure all computers have the same access to that server.
Or if you map your connections to a drive letter (i.e. F-drive) make sure all computers map the same drive letter to the same server.

Or you can do what I do which allows you to work off-line with no connection to the office.
I maintain a copy of the library on my C-drive at work and at home so I don't actually connect to the library on the server.
You can manually copy/update the library from the server to your C-drives or you can use synchronising software to do automatically.
So long as the folder path for the library is the same on all machines (i.e. C:\library) then once you have loaded that library in your job you can open it on any machine and it will automatically load the library from the same location (if it is there).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
We are also having the library loading issue, however, we use Teamwork on Mac's.

Every time someone uses the file remotely, the Bim Server libraries are unavailable. When they add them, they can then continue to work. When the user returns or someone from the office tries to work on the project, the Bim Server libraries are again unavailable. The user re-adds them but the cycle repeats.