Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

3ds export error bug!!!!!!! HELP

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everybody,

I recently bought a brand new laptop which is set to work only with vista and will not allow any downgrades to xp (which i use)...i said ok, i will go with vista : all programs ran smoothly (including AC12) until I tried to save as .3ds from AC12 -> i got an error report (bug report) and i was kicked out...i don't know why!!!! I was hoping someone here might have a clue...please help!!!!! 10q
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
i've been having problems also exporting to .3ds from v.12, and i'm on a quadcore pc running windows xp pro;

i don't get error/bug message but the export process commences (the progress indicator is visible and gets to about 25 - 30% complete) and archicad just 'hangs' (aka not responding) requiring a manual task ending and restarting of software.

i think the culprit is library parts in the model, particularly those generating lots of faces/polygons (e.g. 3d trees/vehicles etc.) but i haven't been able to confirm this.

Of course, every so often, usually when i'm trying to crash it deliberately to analyse the problem it works perfectly.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's another problem I've experienced with 3ds export in AC12: sometimes it doesn't save all the elements in the scene (some slabs or some parts of some objects are left out). If opening the same file in AC11, all turns out ok.
Has anyone experienced this?

Cheers,

Adrian Tudoreanu
Anonymous
Not applicable
taoklai and kombibob, I do not have such problems with 3ds export. I use AC12 with Win XP SP2. I doubt it is Vista to blame, though.

Adrian, I have experienced the same behaviour! I cannot find the problem which trigers this problem. Sometimes I had to export as DWG to be able to get the model in Max. It happens with simple forms as walls a nd slabs, no 3D trees!

A bug?
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is a bug in 3DS export! AC12 does not export the whole model! It exports about 90% of the geometry and the other is missing!

The problem occurs with simple forms as straight walls and slabs. I have experienced it with a new model, made in AC12 and with an AC10 model, opened in AC12. The same model exported perfectly from AC10.

And a workaround - export the missing geometry as DWG and gring together in Max.
Djordje
Ace
Is there a pattern of what is missing?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I cannot define a pattern!
graan
Booster
We experienced problems exporting .3ds files from Mac. The textures aren't exported at all, on Windows they come along with the .3ds file.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have there been any developments on this? I am trying to export a single Mesh from AC12 (Mac Intel Build 2523 INT FULL) with a Google Earth Texture applied to it as a 3DS file so that it can be imported into SketchUp 7. It comes up with the following error in SketchUp after the import (Image attached).

Any ideas? I am an advanced ArchiCAD user but a SketchUp Noob.
Picture 1.png