cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Asset survey

DGSketcher
Legend
I have been asked by a long standing client to carry out a survey of all the M&E assets in his five storey approximately 200 room building which I have as a current AC model. The kind of things to pick up are relatively simple e.g. domestic grade fittings for power, lights, fire protection etc.

I am wondering how best to record all this information in the field before adding to the drawings. I have tried to look at using BIMx but can't find any useful guidance regarding mark up. The other option would be to mark up PDF plans with an appropriate app.

On the hardware front I have an iPAD Air but would possibly splash out for the Pro with pen if the benefits were there.

Interested to hear from anyone with experience of suitable mark up solutions or even ideally how to use the BIMx app to record the various points in each room.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
2 REPLIES 2
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=18hQ2gEFOAc
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KCVpF_-P9pw

Different in your area perhaps but I start all building surveys in the Fire Sprinkler Riser Room. The name of the installer is on the riser. They not only have the plans for the sprinkler system, but they probably also have the plans for the building they used to design the system with. And the Mechanicals too. And their drawings are more reliable than the Architects. If it is an old building, they probably have done their own as-builds which can be useful placeholder prints for the info you need to collect. Their stuff has to fit. I have frequently found complete sets of building plans in the storage rooms of the Fire sprinkler contractors when even the Architects no longer retain a copy. Do you have an old Digitizer you could use? I used to use one back in the days when I made lots of building surveys. I pushed it around on a cart. Better things are available these days-- https://www.orthograph.net/

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

DGSketcher
Legend
Thanks for the feedback Steve. I didn't need to do the work in the end. It turned out it was an accountancy exercise where the cost of recording all the M&E was likely to make a huge dent in what was supposed to be recovered so not much return on investment. Accountants settled for using construction industry approximate estimates.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)