Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Cut openings in beams

agroni
Booster
Does anyone in this forum has a magical explanation cut openings in beams?

When beams are modelled, there is no tool to place cut openings in them, just the integrated cut opening in the settings of the beam. Sadly, this tool is lacking the possibility to manipulate with different parameters.
What I am missing, is the text description with height and width.

What I did, I used a wall to model it as a beam (classification IfcBeam) and placed a standard cut opening element (Window Tool) to show the graphics and the text beside it. To allow this option your wall must be presented as a “symbolic section”, otherwise you won’t be able to see the cut opening (if the wall/beam is sitting above head). In the “symbolic section” sadly you see the concrete fill of the element and not just the dashed contour lines.

The only solution that I have found to overcome this problem is to create a wall that starts from the floor and goes up to the ceiling. In this case I don’t use the “symbolic section” but “Projected with overhead” which allows the presentation of the cut opening. Then you need to place an empty opening across the length of the wall and the define the height where the beam begins. This empty opening allows to remove the part that is underneath our “fake” beam.
That is why on the image, drawing nr.3 is so far the correct presentation.

Does anyone have a better solution for this
cheers
The BIMster @ AllesWirdGut
Currently: Archicad 26
User since Archicad 6.5 (2001)
6 REPLIES 6
felcunha
Expert
You can use a label pointing to the hole and get the width and height dimensions by autotext...
Felipe Ribeiro Cunha

AC 26, macOS Monterey
agroni
Booster
felcunha wrote:
You can use a label pointing to the hole and get the width and height dimensions by autotext...
True, but with autotext I cannot extract the hight value in relation to my project origin. See the value below BxH in my image. For the beam yes, but not for the cut opening.
felcunha
Expert
Yes, I agree 100% ! Guys from GS, could we please have this data available ? It's very important to make complete construction documents, try just to imagine having to enter the topography of each penetration in a huge project !!
Felipe Ribeiro Cunha

AC 26, macOS Monterey
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Guys,
Make a wish for this. We will see how much it is supported and then I will submit it to GRAPHISOFT if it gets high enough support.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
OK, I see the wish was made, so let me place its link here so people can vote:

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=59434
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
agroni
Booster
Yeah, I have posted a wish for this option.
sorry for my late reply