Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

DWG Export Settings (beginner)

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm a newcomer to Archicad, so apologies if this should be obvious. When I try to export dwg's from either the menu or in Publisher, the dwg design layers are blank when I open in Vectorworks. Looks ok in sheet layer, but there's nothing when I switch down to the active layers. To remedy this I tried to check Archicad settings in "View Settings" and tried to change Model View Options to "dwg export"....but that option isn't available. All I have are a list of MVO options. In general I appear to be going round in circles with this whole dwg export thing, which has surprised me. I somehow thought that this would be easy. Exporting to pdf works a dream. But this is a great piece of software.....I'm over-awed by its possibilities. Gabalco
9 REPLIES 9
Eduardo Rolon
Have you tried editing the DWG-DFX Translator, under File -> Interoperability -> DFX-DWG and usually in a button where you do the Save-As or as part of the Publisher settings?

One of the items is for how AC will assign Layers to the export.

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-21/archicad-21-reference-guide/user-interface-refe...
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Eduardo....yes I had checked that. But am slowly making progress. Still puzzled by the View Settings, and why I cannot get the DWG option to show in Model View Options. Must be something very basic that my novice eye isn't spotting.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This screenshot illustrates my problem. This diagram is from a tutorial explaining how to export dgw's properly...and it shows the Model View Option as having DWG Export selected. But I can find absolutely no way to get that option. What am I missing here? Must be something very basic.
Eduardo Rolon
I think that is the problem. The screenshot shows the View Settings, these define the parameters for that view it does not have the settings for export. When you use "Save-As" for that View and you choose DWG as the format you will see an option for "Translator Settings" in those settings you can find the section for Layers and in that one you specify how you want them.

You can also find them Under File->Inter…
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
Here's the Layer's section
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Eduardo
I still don't understand this. In the screenshot that I provided, you will see that the selection for "Model View Options" shows "DWG Export". Nowhere in the layer section that you refer to can I set up DWG Export.
How did that person select DWG Export in Model View Options?
Eduardo Rolon
The misunderstanding is that Model Views control DWG output it does not that is controlled by the Translator Settings which are part of the Save or Publisher Dialogs.
What you are showing is that you have a Model View called "DWG Export" and that is only a name. We could called it "Pen Settings" and we would not be able to control the Pens there.
In AC each view have different controls what you have shown is that someone created a specific MVO to be used when saving Views that you intend to publish to as DWG. These define the how you want the Model to be shown when ew save to DWG.
In addition to that one you have to create a Translator which will fine tune your export options. It is within the settings of that translator were you will find how to process the Layers as is shown in my screenshots.
-----
You have 90% of the steps done, just need one more.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Eduardo....now I get it.
I appreciate your patience
Ian
Eduardo Rolon
gabalco wrote:
Thanks Eduardo....now I get it.