cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

DXF to CNC Water jet

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can not figure out how to generate a dxf file my water jet people can cut a part, without the segmented lines.

I have tried every combination I can think of, including re drawing, slab, profile manager, 3D, Poly line, and fill as well. They all look segmented when opened with a DXF Viewer and AutoCAD.

I did it once by accident, so I believe it can be accomplished. I do need to figure out how, or farm it out. Why did it work once?

Attached is a test just done with a ploy line.

Thank you, all.
I am still using AC11
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Peter,

Nothing is attached!

Not sure where you are seeing the segmentation, but line work from the floorplan should export as pure arcs and lines. However linework that was extracted from a 3d section or elevation will be segmented as this is a true view of the 3d model, and ArchiCAD breaks down all curved 3d surfaces into small facets to reduce polygon count. Could this be where the segmentation originates from?

To clean it up, you could paste the linework onto the floorplan, then redraw the segmented parts using the standard 2d line tools, then export this.

I think we need to see a picture to give more precise advice.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Peter.

It seems I can only attach a single image.
This also will not show you the segmented lines. Can I send you a dxf generated by the pln?

Thanks again.

PB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
This also will not show you the segmented lines. Can I send you a dxf generated by the pln?
Sorry for the delay in replying.

After looking at the image, I'm wondering if it might even be caused by the Magic Wand settings in ArchiCAD perhaps? Try 'Best match' instead of 'linear segments'?

If you are still having problems, you can zip up the dxf file and add it as an attachment to your post (keep the file size small). Hopefully someone will have an idea of what the problem is and the solution!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mr. Clark!
It works! I did several different wand settings, then checked the DXF files, and I have to say, they look GREAT!

On the last, I made all the settings minimum allowed, and it looks better than Best Match. You can't get any better than 0.004" per segment on a curve!

I had no idea I could change the Wand settings!
Now I wonder about all the other things I still don't know!
However, because of your help, I know one more thing!

Thank you again!
Peter
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm glad we found the problem!

I would have thought that the 'best match' setting would have been more accurate for splines, as it simplifies any spline into multiple arc segments that most closely follows the original.

The other settings using 'linear segments' just use smaller and smaller straight line segments to approximate the curve.

Regardless, it's good you found a solution that you are happy with!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter,
I will find out from the jet people Monday if they prefer the mini segments over the Best Match. If I am not mistaken, it does look like the best match also considers the settings. But then, I might be imaginerring something!

Just from my viewing via a DWG Viewer, as I zoom in and out I can see the fragments in the lines, although it may be how the graphics card works. It is fascinating how different programs compensate, and finish making things look good. I am certain, however, the original problem was directly related to the setting of the wand!

Thank you for your direction! You have made the weekend open for fun!

Truly, I thank you.

Peter