Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Dimensions of IfcOpeningElements are out of control?

JSN
Enthusiast

Hi, what is the reason that sometimes IfcOpenings (also from Doors and Windows) are getting ridiculous absurd dimensions?

This is a model I received ...

JSN_0-1699537905569.png

... and this is what I get with the same components.

JSN_1-1699538161248.png

I know for some time there is/was a problem for some time with automatically  created openings but it's new for me to see this also on doors and windows. So I am wondering what is causing this behaviour? Is it a setting or a hidden option that's triggering this effect?

14 REPLIES 14
JSN
Enthusiast

Any updates?

JSN
Enthusiast

No ideas?

JSN
Enthusiast

Though I guess there won't be an answer I am curious why some doors have such openings as well.

JSN_0-1709555434618.png

it makes coordination unnecessarily more complicated.

JSN_1-1709555550531.png

JSN
Enthusiast

Here I am again. This topic is a returning matter in every project. Would be great to get a reply on how to tackle this ....

JSN_0-1726648400899.png

@JSN,

Can you check how it looks in an IFC Viewer before you import the IFC into Archicad?

I am curious whether it already looks like this in the IFC Viewer (which would indicate the cause is in the IFC Export process in Revit), or if it looks normal in the IFC Viewer, but looks like this in Archicad (which would indicate the cause is in the IFC Import process in Archicad).

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

All those IFC files have been created by Archicad.

Screenshots are from IFC Viewers like Solibri, Desite or BimCollab.

No involvement of Revit. No import into Archicad.

It is an Archicad Export Issue.

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

OK, sorry, that must have been an incorrect assumption on my part because in your original post, you said you received the file, and I assumed you were working in Archicad and received it from an engineer working in Revit (lots of assumptions, sorry about that.)

I will forward this to GS HQ.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

True, the initial post is lacking details. My assumption was that this bug is well known.

So what I should have added is that this issue is bothering us in coordination context since a while. However I can't say why and when it is triggered as in sample files and small projects things often look alright and suddenly everything is out of control.

For created openings, there is in fact a workaround but talking about objects we don't see any options.

IfcOpenings and their relations are powerful in the context of model checking but not if they are transformed into some infinite spaghetti boxes.

I am not sure but I think at some point in the past, a few years back, this used to work properly but could be that I am mixing up memories.

marcocioeta
Participant

When you export IFC, into the translator, you must unflag the Ifc Opening Element. See the image attached.

ifc.png