Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Formats from C4D you prefer?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,
I am about to make a huge pile of furniture models in C4D.
My client, who makes the furniture, will then provide architects and such, with these models/files.

My question to you guys; what file format do you prefer with ArchiCAD and/or similar.

If you could write a few words about pros and cons, it would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance
p
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Peelman,

For ArchiCAD users it would be preferable if it was supplied as a .gsm file which is the standard ArchiCAD library part format. This would then allow you to add parameters to choose between different materials, or display different options available for that piece of furniture (for example - the number of shelves). You may find you need to know a little GDL coding to do this effectively - I don't know if you would want to get into this.

The next best option would be a .3ds file. ArchiCAD has the facility to convert these into .gsm objects, but you will lose a lot of the fine parametric control that you could have added manually. See this site for examples of .3ds and auto converted .gsm files. http://www.archibaseplanet.com/

One of the complaints about the library parts from that site is that they are too polygon heavy for ArchiCAD to handle. Many have over 40000 polygons! Typically, anything over 5000 is considered excessive for a single object. Under a 1000 is preferable. Other programs seem to be affected less by high polygon objects, and can actually get better results when rendering from the extra detail provided, so in an ideal world you would provide a lower poly version for use in ArchiCAD, and a higher one for other rendering programs.

A 3d .dwg is another importable option similar to .3ds.

Hope that helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Peter
Thank you very much for this useful information.
My client told me he wanted .dwg files, and since that is not an export option in C4D I was looking for something else.

What about the .dfx format?

Thanks again
p
Anonymous
Not applicable
I believe .dxf format is pretty much the same as .dwg. I've never understood what the differences were, to be honest.

If you wanted to do some testing, you can easily download a trial or demo version of AC12/13 and see how various formats come in.

http://www.archicadwiki.com/ArchiCAD%20Bittorrent%20Downloads
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks again Peter,
Are you an experienced AC user?
I believe you are.
I you don’t know the difference, it can’t be critical in any way, I guess.

Anyone else agree or disagree?

Thanks
p
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you do a google for 'difference dwg dxf' you may find a little more information. See here for example http://www.we-r-here.com/cad/tutorials/level_4/4-4.htm

In ArchiCAD they are both handled by the same translator so they must be fairly similar.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Great information again.
Thanks Peter