Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

What would you pay for speed

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is a general question
if you could get a rendering package that is capable of real time rendering
(in other words it will produce renderings equal to the best C4D rendering
in a rate of about 15 frames per second) while all materials, shaders, radiosity, HDRI sttings ETC is done in real time so you could see the changes instantly
and the whole thing will work on you're regular work station

How much would you pay for it?
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think that I would pay about $750 for something like that.
Dwight
Newcomer
Most users think that it should be included.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Most users think that it should be included.

Yes in a perfect world
ArchiCAD will work in full render mode all the time
But this question relates to a stand alone product that potentially can work with ArchiCAD
and so if you could potentially produce you're presentations in a mater of seconds what kind of saving it will mean to you
and hence
what would you pay for speed
TomWaltz
Participant
Are you planning on selling us something?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
Are you planning on selling us something?

Not yet.

In future? ........ possibly!

But still it is interesting to find out
(considering the amount of time it takes to create a good presentation)
What is a product that can actually save time, and just minutes, but hours or days or weeks, will worth for the potential buyer?
TomWaltz
Participant
I think it would need to be more than just "speed". It would have to be "productivity and quality."

Trying to make the rendering process faster hbas two aspects: artistic/aesthetic quality and processing power.

You seem so to be saying that your potential product would speed the artistic/aesthetic end of it, which I have to say sounds nice but also a little unlikely. With greater power comes greater need for flexibility and varying tastes, which is extremely difficult to automate without Matrix-style mind jacks.

For professional renderers, they will want a LOT of flexibility. For your normal architect, I think they will want to be able to set it up to render in the style they currenlty use. You will need the flexibility in the program to give them what they want.

You see it a lot with Archicad. For some people with certain needs, it's realy great. For people who want to model like Frank Gehry, it's not the best product.

Some people complain that Autocad is not full-featured enough. The bigger problem is that they are trying to make a product that works for architects, engineers, manufacturers, and industrial designers. As a result, you have a great drafting program that's really just an awesome electronic drafting board, but not great for any one application.

Personally, I have Lightworks and C4D already. Anything new will have to be really amazing for me to purchase a new product, learn its workflow, and go through another learning curve.
Tom Waltz
Dwight
Newcomer
I apologize for being cynical while you are trying to develop a new product.

I said what i did because i'm cheap, like most Archicad users are. We've spent a lot of money on an overall excellent application that has many second-rate features, many of which are excoriated on this forum. I initially mis-spelled "excoriated" as "excoritated." Besides inventing a new word, this describes the feeling, say, of being told that you are getting LightWorks included and discovering it is the old LightWorks not the new LightWorks because that would be too much work. Excoritated.

For a fair answer, then, to get real-time rendering in Archicad is worth thousands, but only to those few who can apply it and aren't resentful of Archicad's weakness in the rendering area. So, as a marketer, you'd want to assess the market SIZE rather than the unit PRICE. Relying on my experience giving illustration seminars and selling my LightWorks book, you'll be alarmed and disappointed to see how few Archicad users actually make photorealistic imagery of any kind from their models.

I don't know the reason but i suspect:
-- it takes a lot of time to properly set-up a rendering scene.
-- even with your promise of real-time feedback, the technology learning curve/scene refinement curve is immense.
-- users don't have the artistic sense to make satisfying images because they haven't been to art school, film school and professional photographer's school, aspects of which all apply when making architectural imagery.

The buyer would be making professional images (?) This means that your product would need to access superior forms of entourage that Archicad currently doesn't - like animated figures and foliage. The things that Cinema 4D can use, for instance. In part, users export their models to place entourage or engage animation features like wind.

And your product needs to be fast on a real model. A "block of flats," say. Those of us who have been taken in by certain oleaginous (look it up) Hungarian-accented voices demonstrating speed when rendering a mocked-up shack to then discover the grinding mess a real project can be are understandably suspicious of speed claims.

But if you have a product that can seamlessly plug-in to Archicad and give real-time rendering the quality of Cinema 4D with sophisticated material and lighting definitions, why stop at Archicad? There's thousands (hundreds??) of Cinema 4D people out there using outside Renderfarms to do their animations. Now, there's a market!

I'd be happy to brainstorm with you about this.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
It is very interesting to read you're replies
Thank you.
especially about the artistic understanding involved in a good presentation.

the reason this topic is presented at the AC Forum is partly the fact that I'm an AC user and the AC community is close to heart
And also Dwaight's book (Light Works In ArchiCAD) which is an amazing book (and funny too).

AC can be viewed as a tool to latterly "Build the structure" in a virtual environment , and therefor get a "second chance" so to speak, to do it better faster and cheaper, prior to building it on site
Finishes are a big part of the cost of a building, and one would do well to plan those carefully, so the ability to truly see what certain finishes will look like can be valuable, plus it can result in an unexpected creativity that can spring from process of simulation itself.
So "to render a model is a kind of study" as well as presentation.
But a truly good rendering takes hours to prepare, and I've been longing for a truly fast rendering solution, that is intuitive.
so I guess what I'm trying to find out is. How important is a tool like that for the community? and what they would be willing to invest in a tool that can change the way they been doing things?
And besides speed and quality image, what are the things that will inspire them, to make that investment, so we can tailor a tool that is optimized for our needs as a community.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tamir wrote:
How much would you pay for it?
I don't think I ought to have to pay *anything* extra, or buy any additional software. I've already paid thousands of dollars for Archicad. Top quality rendering software ought to be built in. Rendering is a critical aspect of the work we do.

Wendy