Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Windows XP 64 bits?...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi folks,

If you don't mind I'd like some feedback about your experience with windows xp 64 bits...
I bought a new Quad Core Q6600 pc with 4gb RAM and I'm tempted to install it...
Do you have any problem with Archicad or applications like Artlantis, photoshop or Open Office?
Is it worth?
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Braza wrote:
If you don't mind I'd like some feedback about your experience with windows xp 64 bits...
Hi Paulo,

I've switched to Windows XP x64 a couple of weeks ago. ArchiCAD 11 and Photoshop CS3 work fine. Can't tell anything about Artlantis or Open Office, as I don't use them.

Cheers.

Adrian Tudoreanu
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the feedback!
Good to know things are working fine after the transition...
Have you noticed any improvement in ArchiCAD performance?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Braza wrote:
Have you noticed any improvement in ArchiCAD performance?
To be honest, not really. But maybe it's due to my system's configuration (not a very powerful one, as you can see in my signature).
Still, I have to mention that I've opened one of my projects on another computer with almost the same hardware resources, but running on XP x32. The rebuilding of the 3D view was slower than on my x64 system. I don't know if it's x64 vs x32 or maybe the fact that I have 2Gb instead of 1 Gb of Ram (that's the only difference between the two machines).

Cheers.

Adrian Tudoreanu
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok I'll give a try...

One more thing Adrian...
Correct me if I'm wrong:
I can install any 32 bits program in XP 64...
The problem is that they wont take any advantage of the 64 bits OS, right?...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Braza wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong:
I can install any 32 bits program in XP 64...
The problem is that they wont take any advantage of the 64 bits OS, right?...
Yes, you can install 32-bit programs on XP x64. About the advantages of 64-bit operating systems, it seems that they allow you to allocate more memory to certain applications (even these are 32-bit ones). According to Graphisoft, ArchiCAD can use a maximum of 2Gb of Ram on 32-bit operating systems and a maximum of 4 Gb of Ram on 64-bit ones. I am not very familiar with some technical issues, so I recommend you to read this article on ArchicadWiki http://www.archicadwiki.com/64-bit
or this one on Microsoft site http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/64bit/russel_exploringx64.mspx

Cheers.

Adrian Tudoreanu
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok! That makes me more confident in this x64 transition...

Thank you very much Adrian!