Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

exporting to c4d

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think that I've tried just about all the various options and so far find the OBJ format to work the best. However, when I export by materials, which makes sense, ALL the AC geometry of that material comes in as ONE single polygon object in C4D. This is a major, major pain as there is no easy way to split all the polygons like the explode command in autocad...you have to do it polygon by polygon. What I would really like to see in the file transfer is all the polys of one material to come in under a single null object in C4D so that each part is easily accessed amd edited in C4D and yet comes in already "sorted" by material under the null object. This would save a lot of time. By the way, that is the way FormZ objects come in, except I used to do it by layers, but same concept.

Have I missed an option here somewhere that might work better? I did try the AC to C4D exchange plugin...and offhand can not remember the results as far as how the geometry came in.
151 REPLIES 151
Karl Ottenstein
Eduardo and Warwick,

Thanks for clarifying! This really does seem unacceptable as you describe it. And the confusion between the two C4D plug-ins is regrettable.

It is a bit like the confusion between the Google Earth plug-in and the Sketch-Up plugin, where one lets skp files get imported as objects and the other converts surfaces to building elements.

With reasonable content, GS could eliminate all of this confusion on their web site - but getting the add-ons delivered requires more than eliminating confusion.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wokka wrote:

Absolutley nothing at all.
Maxon Man (superhero?) is waiting.................
Graphisoft Australia is waiting..................
It's pretty ridiculous. I just renewed my subscription with Graphisoft for my second license without knowing if 50% of my work (3D & C4D) will be usable EVER. If the exchange is not going to be continued, they should let us know! If it is, give us a timeframe to work with! Anytime before R13 would be nice. It's hard enough trying to survive in this economic climate. They are not helping.
ask my GS-man two-days ago--- no comment --- GS should let us know, if they are not continue that plugin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dirk wrote:
Wokka wrote:

Absolutley nothing at all.
Maxon Man (superhero?) is waiting.................
Graphisoft Australia is waiting..................
It's pretty ridiculous. I just renewed my subscription with Graphisoft for my second license without knowing if 50% of my work (3D & C4D) will be usable EVER. If the exchange is not going to be continued, they should let us know! If it is, give us a timeframe to work with! Anytime before R13 would be nice. It's hard enough trying to survive in this economic climate. They are not helping.
ask my GS-man two-days ago--- no comment --- GS should let us know, if they are not continue that plugin
Surely thats not a possibility. The fact that it did have good connectivity with C4D was one of the reasons I am hanging in there with Archicad. Apparently our GS man talked with Hungary who said it was in Maxon's court. C'mon guys you are all owned by the same big kahuna company now, lets play ball!
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear Talkers,

An update on why Cinema4D exchange add-on was late and why it is working differently than before. From C4D R11, Maxon (developers of C4D) introduced a new developer platform called "melange", which replaces the individual connections they had with each of their developer partners. This meant that we had to re-write our export Add-On based on the new dev-kit, which, unfortunately does not currently support updating the C4D model based on the modified ArchiCAD model. Since "melange" is new, and currently only the 1.0 version is available, we have hopes that upcoming versions will address this problem. We are working together with Maxon to solve this situation.
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
owen
Newcomer
Gergely,

THEY WHAT!?!?

Thankyou for letting us know the situation. In light of this is I must eat a little bit of humble pie - it is obviously Maxons stuff-up and there is not much Graphisoft could do to fix it if the DevKit is the problem.

However it really should not have taken 8 months to let us know what was going on - this situation with the devkit not providing to update C4D with external model info would have been quite quickly apparent no? Instead we were left completely in the dark with nothing other than 'its Maxon's responsibility'.

You must understand why we are getting so worked up - many many people really do rely on this plugin for their workflow and to have heard nothing constructive for 8 months when it is broken is not acceptable. People tend to remain calmer when they are fully informed of the situation.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
owen
Newcomer
gkmethy wrote:
Dear Talkers,

An update on why Cinema4D exchange add-on was late and why it is working differently than before. From C4D R11...
OK .. just throwing this out there.

Is it possible (and reasonable?) to update the existing AC11 Add-On to work in AC12? Ignore the C4D end - I mean can the Import-Export AddOn we have for AC11 easily be updated by Graphisoft/Maxon to work in AC12 and export an .AC4D file in exactly the same format as AC11 does? If so Exchange would at least be usable with AC12+C4D 10.5 ... and many people have not upgraded to R11. For those that have upgraded I still think the workarounds at the C4D end will take MUCH less time than the Exchange will save.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Eduardo Rolon
Owen's suggestion works for me. I still don't have a strong enough reason to update to C4D R11.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Dwight
Newcomer
gkmethy wrote:
, Maxon (developers of C4D) introduced a new developer platform called "melange"
Melange = mixture of incongruous elements = big mess.

They got the name right.
Dwight Atkinson
Eduardo Rolon
I thought it turned your eyes blue, let you see the future or in heavy doses fold space.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

owen
Newcomer
and one more thing i had not really paid attention to before but .. Maxon is advertising the R11 Architecture Edition - including CAD Exchange plugin - on their website. Follow the links - false advertising?

I wonder if anyone has fallen prey to this..

http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/editions/editions_e.html

http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/editions/architecture/architecture_e.html

http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/editions/architecture/import_e.html

http://www.maxon.net/pages/solutions/archicad/archicad_e.html

http://www.maxon.net/pages/download/democ4d_e.php

This last one is a link to a Demo download of the Architecture Edition - does not specify if this includes the Exchange Plugin though (i guess not)
cheers,

Owen Sharp