Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

why are R.O.s in decimal inches in AC11 schedules?

Anonymous
Not applicable
After migrating from AC10 to AC11, all my door/window schedules are now showing Rough Opening columns in decimal inches!! (instead of fractional inches)

After some poking around I discovered the R.O. columns are being formated based on Options/Project Prefs/ Calculation Units/ Length Unit settings, which don't have fractional inches as an option.

Is this a bug? And I've just upgraded my AC11 Library to the July 4th version.
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
Michael wrote:
Is this a bug?
Well, bug or inattention to the US market is in the eye of the beholder. 😉

The display of information in the (interactive) schedules has been a sore point since they were first introduced, as some fields used dimension units, some used working units and some used calculation units.

It would appear that GS has 'fixed' this inconsistency by displaying length parameters with Calculate length units. (The RO is a length parameter of the door.)

This would be fine, except they did not notice that most often use FFI for such units in the US, and so should offer that as an option in the dialog that you mention.

Bug or not, it is something that needs to be fixed for the US market.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply, Karl. At least I don't feel so crazy.

But this is Big Bummer news. I can't tell you how many hours I spent last year nursing my door/window schedules in AC10 to properly display Nominal Unit Size, Header Height, and Rough Opening dimensions for the builder; and at last they were looking great. Now the Rough Opening columns in AC11 are useless with decimal inches. Can anyone feel my pain?

Maybe GS will kindly amend this before AC12? (hint hint)

Any workaround ideas out there? For this current project I'll import the schedules from my AC10 versions prior to migrating them to AC11, but I don't know what I'll do in future AC11 projects... other than a helluvalotta math.
Michael wrote:
Any workaround ideas out there? For this current project I'll import the schedules from my AC10 versions prior to migrating them to AC11, but I don't know what I'll do in future AC11 projects... other than a helluvalotta math.
Well, you might consider just not including R.O.s. Although it seems to make your builder's life a little easier, it vastly increases your own liability, and if the builder decides to change window manufacturers at the last minute, you've just wasted all your time anyway. I would much rather have the builder verify the correct R.O. and not rely on my schedule which could include a typo or outdated information. No architecture firm I've ever worked for included R.O.s and in the past twenty-five years I've never had a builder even SUGGEST that they'd like to have these included.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Karl Ottenstein
Michael wrote:
Maybe GS will kindly amend this before AC12?
We can only hope. 😉 I've submitted a bug report that references this thread.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB