Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

(Example: Do we need a Linux version of ArchiCAD?)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is GS trying to tell us something? Or are they just teasing? Anyone have any thoughts or insights to this? I'm all for Linux compatibility.
40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just teasing, I hope!

Let's make sure they get the other OS's versions working properly first! Look at what happened when they had to maintain compatibility for Windows 98, NT, 2000, XP plus Mac OS 9, 10. It couldn't be done.

On top of that I can't believe that Linux has any sort of user base in creative firms like architecture offices that would justify it. OSX is the best *nix incarnation for the masses (arguably the best OS in general) and obviously has a much greater user base than Linux and less than Windows.

Anyway, let's hope it's just a joke.
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Eric wrote:
Just teasing, I hope!

Let's make sure they get the other OS's versions working properly first! Look at what happened when they had to maintain compatibility for Windows 98, NT, 2000, XP plus Mac OS 9, 10. It couldn't be done.

On top of that I can't believe that Linux has any sort of user base in creative firms like architecture offices that would justify it. OSX is the best *nix incarnation for the masses (arguably the best OS in general) and obviously has a much greater user base than Linux and less than Windows.

Anyway, let's hope it's just a joke.
Couldn't agree more with you Eric. I also hope they are just teasing us. I know of 1 Architect in the whole of Sweden that wants a Linux version of ArchiCAD.
As Eric stated, there has to be a need, at the moment its just not there.. Linux is a great OS but maybe not for ArchiCAD just now
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Karl Ottenstein
Hi guys,

I agree that we don't want to see GS dilute their resources on a Linux port ... however the port may be important for marketing purposes (for airhead managers of large firms who do not listen to their IT guys). And, the port could conceivably be done by one person in a very short amount of time for reasons I shouldn't talk about.

This thing about Linux came up some months ago on the old list because of an article indicating that Autodesk was going to port AutoCAD to Linux (and who knows ... Revit/etc?).

Somewhere, some pencil pusher will look at a table of features with check marks for features that each of Autodesk and Graphisoft products have and say "Oh, AutoCAD runs on Linux ... we have Linux servers...I'm an idiot (OK they won't think that part)...so maybe looking towards the future it is better to have software that can run there too ... and look at the pretty brochure that Autodesk has with all of these check marks of things that Graphisoft doesn't yada yada....and they did take me to that really nice restaurant last night, and ..."

I have faith and optimism that the new upper management at Graphisoft is so mature in the industry and so marketing oriented that they would make the decision to either pursue Linux or not only if it is a smart move for sales. After all, we all want more sales so GS can hire more developers so more of our wishes can be granted! 😉

IMHO of course!

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I for one must be that one person that would appreciate a port to Linux. A few years ago I switched to a MAC to get rid of MS and now am back on Win for all the recent past MAC problems along with a short digression to the Revit side (without much success). Since MACs are on a form of open BSD would it be that difficult?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I cornered the guys from Graphisoft in the bar at Archicad University about this and they didn't know of any plans to port Archicad to Linux. Could be something to think about for the future though as Linux is fast becoming more accepted as a platform. I'm all for it - the less I spend on OS/Office software the more I can spend on software like Archicad.

Mark B
Anonymous
Not applicable
P.S: We are currently trialing Open Office to use in place of MS Office. If it pans out it will save me mega £/$!
stefan
Expert
Linux is getting some good performance on 3D-graphics and Special FX. All the major applications have a strong Unix-background (mostly IRIX, the SGI version).

I don't think Graphisoft is at the point to start making ArchiCAD for Linux.

I only know of one architectural CAD-application (BricsCAD) that is being ported in the near future.

Most architects are not PC-guru's and rely on day-to-day use of Office applications and Internet & mail, so I doubt that they are all waiting for Linux.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mark wrote:
P.S: We are currently trialing Open Office to use in place of MS Office. If it pans out it will save me mega £/$!
We made the switch about 3 months ago. Heartily recommended. Still keep an 'archive' copy of Office Suite for 'emergencies' though! Other people can check out www.openoffice.org to see for themselves (yes it is free free free).

Stuart 'still a beginner' James
Karl Ottenstein
StuartJames wrote:
Stuart 'still a beginner' James
Actually, it's showing you as a 'Guest' right now. 😉

The question is, Stuart, will your photo change color as you attain each new level? (I'm assuming your choice of 'green' was as in 'green beginner' ...)

At least all but the truly new members know you to be the expert that you are!

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB