BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Line tool Default layer changing after using fill tool

Anonymous
Not applicable
Small but annoying problem, long explanation. Has anyone else experienced the following?

I draw a line on a visible layer, then select the Fill tool to draw a fill. If I go back to the Line tool the default layer has changed to something else. In this case it's selecting a layer within an X-Ref and so I get the warning shown below. In other files I have had various other layers become the default (which are turned off).

- Occurs in plan views with various layer combinations, and in detail windows with only one layer turned on.

- I have tried the Document> Layers> Extras> Active Layer palette to set a visible layer as current for all element types, but this has no effect.

- This only occurs after selecting the Fill tool.
I can go to any other tool, then back to line and layer is o.k.
I can go from line to fill to text to line and layer is o.k.

- It does not matter whether or not I have "Uniform settings for line tool" checked.

I don't have the latest AC11 update installed, but there appears to be nothing regarding this issue in the release notes. I know this is only a small issue, but it is extremely frustrating having to select the layer over and over again.

Any ideas please?

Picture 1.png
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Further discovery - Option+click on an existing line also sets the layer to the X-Ref layer the first time, 2nd click sets it to the correct layer.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Stuart,

Sorry for the slightly delayed response, but I have a similar problem also with the line tool default layer changing randomly in AC11. Mine keeps changing to the layer the grid is on, (which I have also locked to prevent them from moving, which make it doubly annoying!)

And you're right, the trigger is simply switching to the fill tool, and then back again.

I'm guessing it might be related to the AC10 origin of the stripped down file that I used to start this file. If I start a clean new AC11 file using the default AC template, the line layer works fine.

I've noticed there are also a couple of other features that don't quite work properly either which are possibly related, but I haven't bothered to try to sort them.

So, no solution to the problem from me, but least you know you are not alone!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, Peter, for the confirmation. Glad (?) to know I'm not imagining this.

I hadn't made the connection between AC10 ---> 11 files, but trying it out on a new file (that was started with our template which would have been brought up from AC10, if not earlier, at some stage) I don't have this happening. Also just tried the problem file on a colleagues machine with no issues.

Learn and get certified!