BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

TEMPLATES

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do i bring in to AC22 a ready made template used on another project, to be used for the new project just opened ? The default template in the new project is too basic and I would like to bring in another which has logos, heading and all set out. In all sizes - A1- A4

THX
4 REPLIES 4
Hello,

You had to do a TPL file like "TemPLate"
You can start from you pln last project file and delete all the 2D and 3D model informations
Then save as TPL when you want
The default directory are :
On PC: C:\Program Files\Graphisoft\ARCHICAD <version>\Defaults\ARCHICAD
On Mac OS: \Applications\Graphisoft\ARCHICAD <version>\Defaults\ARCHICAD
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Barry Kelly
There is no real need for a true template (TPL) file.
You can open any file and start working from it.
As mentioned if it already contains information, you can simply delete what is not wanted.
I work from a 'template' that is just a PLN file saved on a network drive.
I modify that PLN if I ever want to make changes for future jobs.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry wrote:
There is no real need for a true template (TPL) file.
Absolutly but this post talk about template so...
The advantage of the TPL is that its weight is less, there is more information to clear, it is ready to use accessible since the comamnde new project. This allows a more rigorous agency work by sharing a very small file of the maximum information between collaborators especially in a BimCloud environment or a collaboration via additional modules
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Barry Kelly
The only real difference between a PLN and a TPL file is that the template (TPL) file will open as an 'Untitled' document.
So you must 'Save As' with a new name.
It is not possible to overwrite your template accidentally.

With a PLN (as a template), you can accidentally overwrite it by simply performing a 'Save'.

The file size is identical (so long as they contain the same information) so it is not actually a lighter file.

A TPL file can be saved anywhere and you can browse for it when you choose 'New' file.

I prefer to use a PLN as my 'template' because I can't be bothered to 'Save As' and then change the file type back to TPL and then browse where to save it every time I want to update the 'template' (which is quite often).
I just open the PLN, edit it and 'Save'.

Yes the danger is that anyone can start working on the template and accidentally 'Save' over it.
But that is why I have a master template on the network (that only I access and edit), and that is updated daily to other servers and local machines on our network.

I guess you have to do what is best for you.
A TPL is safest and can't be accidentally overwritten, but is a longer process to save if you ever want to update it.
"Different horses for different courses" as they say.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!