BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Archicad Python API
About automating tasks in Archicad using the Python API.

Is the Python Experiment already dead?

poco2013
Mentor
I have been working with the experimental Python functions and I have some concerns. There are some limitations and some major bugs in the initial release but, this is not my concern, since, at this stage, it is entirely normal.

The problem is that since the end of the preliminary Beta (Alpha) there is no means of reporting serious bugs to anyone and, what’s more, no one seems interested in listening.

The latest problem I found is an application that uses excel and python to transfer property data. The application is quite large and, while running,, captures almost all of my 32GB of memory. This is not unusual, but upon exit it does not release the memory leaving insufficient memory for Archicad to exit and clean up the program. The result is that Archicad ”locks up” upon exit (spinning ball) and never exits unless killed by the Task Manager.

Whom do I report this too; is anyone interested? The local office here in North America is not qualified to troubleshot this question and, in the past, has been instructed to just pass the files to Hungary and to a never to be heard from “black hole”.

I tried communicating directly with Graphisoft on a similar but a much minor matter and never received a response.

It seems to me now that Graphisoft has already deprecated Python as it did to List Schedules and Wood Stick Framing. I don’t see any use here if it is not going to be supported. Graphisoft recently announced more support for the North American market. --- A very POOR start.

IOW--- Is Python already Dead and am I just wasting my time??
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
5 REPLIES 5
henryL
Enthusiast
I don't think so, we will need a lot of time to see it on a public release yes, but i think python is essential nowadays. If you look at allplan (same nemetschek group as we are) they released python api in 2016 and in 2020 they got a visual script on top that. I also think this is essential to have a more intuitive alternative to GDL.
leceta
Expert
we are a lot who believe in the convenience of having python inside ArchiCAD, but Graphisoft´s usual secrecy on its real development status, even its intention on how is going to "shape" the product is certainly discouraging, at the very least.

Not sure who is the beneficiary of such an attitude. Us, second class customers, we are not, that´s for sure.
Anonymous
Not applicable
+1
Also, I do not see how it is commercially good to produce some sort of limited beta software and then have this long of a time span without any updates, confirmation.. I think a lot of users (including myself) would like to know what are the future plans for python and some time spans, in order to make some decisions regarding the software.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Petar.Pejic wrote:
+1
Also, I do not see how it is commercially good to produce some sort of limited beta software and then have this long of a time span without any updates, confirmation.. I think a lot of users (including myself) would like to know what are the future plans for python and some time spans, in order to make some decisions regarding the software.
+1
galiaf_velikiy
Booster
Tomer1 wrote:
Petar.Pejic wrote:
+1
+1
+1
Learn and get certified!