BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.
SOLVED!

Is there a plugin or exterior program, to help write 2D GDL shapes?

Otavio Augusto
Certified Trainer

Hi, is there a plugin or program that can help me write 2D GDL shapes? I am trying to create new gym equipments in just one object for my office, but I am struggling with the complexity of the final 2D drawings. It seems like it would take me days to create just one of them.

I was wondering if there is an easier way to do this, so I came here to ask for your help.

Thank you all in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
ArchiMind
Advocate

Hi @Otavio Augusto ,

There isn't such a thing, but you could always draw what you need and then save it as gdl object.

Check this link for more information:

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/88766/

Cheers,

Stefan Veselinović 

Versions 13 to 25
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core
RAM:32GB
GPU: RTX 2080Ti
Windows 11

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Solution
ArchiMind
Advocate

Hi @Otavio Augusto ,

There isn't such a thing, but you could always draw what you need and then save it as gdl object.

Check this link for more information:

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/88766/

Cheers,

Stefan Veselinović 

Versions 13 to 25
Windows 11
scottjm
Advisor

You can also drag and drop primitive 2D and 3D elements directly from the floor plan or 3D view into the relevant GDL script. You have to undock the GDL window and the relevant view window and you basically just click and drag it across. It’s a bit finicky to get it to work and it may give you co-ordinates with excessive decimal points, but it’s definitely worth trying. 

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe
DGSketcher
Legend

@Otavio Augusto Can we assume you are familiar with the GDL command PROJECT2?

If so you can use that in the 2D Script as a start. It isn't recommended for really complex objects, so it depends on the detail in your model.

You could use PROJECT2 to start. Place the object. Explode it. Edit it. Copy and paste it into the object 2D Symbol window and use the FRAGMENT2 command to display it.

Have you looked at the Graphisoft Library Part Maker add-on as a solution?

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Hi @ArchiMind , thank you for the idea. I was already thinking about it and I'm going to give it a try!

The thing is, I want to have multiple types of 2D drawings in the same object. So, I think I'll create multiple GDL objects and copy and paste their codes.

Hi @scottjm, never tought about that, i'll sure give it a try, thx!

Hi @DGSketcher, not quite. I'm teaching myself GDL as I try to use it, so I'm not really familiar with PROJECT2, but I'll definitely give it a try.

I have looked at LPM, but i think it doesn't allow me to have multiple instances in the same object, which is what I need.

But, I'm happy to say that I managed to create a 2D electric points object for my office, and that's the start of my GDL learning journey haha. It's way too simple, but it works and I'm very glad about it!

If you want to have multiple instances in one GDL object. Then I would suggest to check this link.

Link:

https://sites.google.com/site/noscriptgdl/some-scripting-required/creating-multiple-2d-3d-views

Cheers,

Stefan

Versions 13 to 25
Windows 11
Jorge_Arreguin
Booster

can you show one  object please

Do a web search for GDL Cookbook 3 by David Nicholson-Cole. It is old but still an excellent beginners guide to GDL.

This official GS site may also help... https://gdl.graphisoft.com/ 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!