BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Reveal in Window moves inside when structural display is on "core only"

Joachim Suehlo
Advisor
When I create a simple window and have a profile wall, the reveal of the Window moves inside when structural display is on "core only".
Is there a way to prevent this?
See picture (left side whole structure, right side "core only")
Joachim Suehlo . AC12-27 . MAC OSX 13.5 . WIN11
GDL object creation: b-prisma.de
4 REPLIES 4
Peter Baksa
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Yes, this must be done in GDL. Look a the code of "Simple Window Opening": early in the master script
if GLOB_STRUCTURE_DISPLAY <> STRUCTURE_ENTIRE_STRUCTURE then
it reads WALL_SKINS_PARAMS, and sums the hidden skin's thicknesses on both sides, then decides which side to use as an offset.
Péter Baksa
Software Engineer, Library as a Platform
Graphisoft SE, Budapest
Joachim Suehlo
Advisor
Thank you Péter for that tip.
With the resulting values of the variables, must I use them in a WALLHOLE command,
or is there any kind of automatism?
If yes and if I still haven't a WALLHOLE, I must add one, I think?
Joachim Suehlo . AC12-27 . MAC OSX 13.5 . WIN11
GDL object creation: b-prisma.de
Peter Baksa
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
This must be a bug, the automatic reveal works with a composite wall, it should with a profiled one too.

However there is another problem with this that the WALL_SKINS_PARAMS approach can't fully solve either:
the profile might have a different cross-section at different heights. For complex (and double-slanted) walls this variable contains the data of the skins at the floor plan cutplane (2D), or at sill height (3D).
If you try the automatic reveal in a slanted wall, you will see it is slanted in 3D too, but in a profiled wall it is vertical, so it is a bit unconsistent.

So, coding a custom reveal is necessary to show partial display in profiled walls correctly (assuming the profile is the same cross-section along the position of the window).
Péter Baksa
Graphisoft SE, Budapest
Peter Baksa
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
My first comment is kind of misleading, that calculation isn't needed for the reval, as the window's origin is at the reveal plane correctly, and two half-infinite cuts can work.
Péter Baksa
Graphisoft SE, Budapest
Learn and get certified!