Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Color construction drawings

David Bearss
Booster
After 10 years my inkjet plotter finally gave out and keeps giving me an endless error message. Just set up my new color plotter and am wondering with the affordability of color printing if offices are starting to incorporate color into their construction drawings. If so what kind of color standards might there be. Simple example might be grey for walls in electrical plan and colors for the electrical.
David Bearss
Archicad 18/Windows 11
Alienware 17 R5
i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB ram
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been using grays for years (colors not required) for just the sort of things you mention.

I have also, albeit rarely, used color for redline/markup sets (though a red pen on the prints id way more common).

I have issued some framing layouts with the wall cores colored to indicate the stud size.

I do lots of color SKs (usually screen shots as PDFs) for quick email communication and RFI resolution.

Can't think of anything else at the moment. This seems like something that will evolve over time.
RandyC
Advocate
color ink seems to sell for the same as black or grey,
If the color is not used its shelf life expires, We find printing
in color is more cost efficient than replacing full expired cartriges.
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
I have just submitted my 1st set of plans for permit in colour. It may be that your jurisdiction will not accept them so you should check first.

The custom home I just finished had fairly complicated roof framing so I used colours to differentiate the sizes of rafters etc in plan and then also in a 3d model view on the same sheet. I think colour has a lot of potential to better explain the drawings and it looks prettier too!

I usually get final drawings printed up by a print service but the difference in price between greyscale and colour was shocking so I ended up printing them up on my trusty HP650C (going on 16 years now! It just won't die). The print service wanted $5.00/sq.ft. even after I explained that they were cad drawings and not full ink posters.

Cheers,
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
David Bearss
Booster
Gerald,
I experienced the same printing service sticker shock and have found in-house to be viable for my small projects. As far as the local jurisdictions, it would easy to print a mix of black and white and color sets for thase that prefer. Back to the color standards, is what you used something that you would share?
David Bearss
Archicad 18/Windows 11
Alienware 17 R5
i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB ram
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
David,

I don't have any colour standards as such. If there are some out there I would be interested in seeing them also. I just do what I think will work and I am always trying new things and open to improving my drawings. I will share the set of drawings if you are interested and would welcome any comments or critiques. It is rather large which is why I didn't post it up but I just figured out how to give you a link where you can download the file. The download is better than the integrated Google Docs viewer. ( don't know why )

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-UXdGuO3bjnMjIyMTYxOWItYTZkNS00OWU1LTg3ZGYtNDFlMTExOTEyMDQ2&hl...
Gerald
OS X 11.6
27" LG 5K Monitor
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
I should also mention that all Sections, Elevations, 3D Views & Schedules are still linked. I use minimal masking fills. I find if I force myself to do this I end up with a better product.

Cheers,
Gerald
OS X 11.6
27" LG 5K Monitor
David Bearss
Booster
Very nice! I especially like the 3D framing. I have done the same in the past but being all black and white they beacme difficult to read. The colors read well and I think my contractors would like that door schedule. Thanks for the visual.
David Bearss
Archicad 18/Windows 11
Alienware 17 R5
i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB ram
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice set. Thanks. It's good to see both the use of color and a well organized and clearly presented set. The 3D framing seems especially helpful. I would guess that the framers like it.
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Thanks for your kind comments. The General Contractor who has his own framing crews did gush a little. He said doing his take-offs was a lot easier too. The only problem giving him this kind of information is that now he will expect it every time.
Gerald
OS X 11.6
27" LG 5K Monitor