BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Level dimension to sea level

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can I get the Level dimension tool to display elevations based on my defined sea level or my 2nd reference level
When I edit the elevation of a point on a mesh, I can choose to what it is measured to, but how do I control what my dimension is referencing?
35 REPLIES 35
Andy Thomson
Advisor
http://www.archicad.ca/?p=13

Does that help? Use gravity on (for mesh or for slabs, you have to tell it which), and switch the little toggle to your defined reference level before dropping your markers. They are associative to slabs, but not to meshes if warped, only if elevated (I think). We use ref levels to get elevation/section level markers to read correctly as well as on plans.
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
andyro wrote:
http://www.archicad.ca/?p=13

Does that help? Use gravity on (for mesh or for slabs, you have to tell it which), and switch the little toggle to your defined reference level before dropping your markers. They are associative to slabs, but not to meshes if warped, only if elevated (I think). We use ref levels to get elevation/section level markers to read correctly as well as on plans.
Andy, are you saying that by changing the Z Value in the Coordinate box first, the gravitated level dimension will refer to the reference levels as you place it in plan?

I have never found this to be the case. I have always resorted to selecting just the text part of the level dimension and editing it's setting to refer to the appropriate reference level. And alt-clicking such a level dim or using favorites still doesn't remember the reference level setting.

I'd be keen to get more specific instructions from you, if you are indeed achieving this before placement.

Cheers,
Link.
__archiben
Booster
Link wrote:
Andy, are you saying that by changing the Z Value in the Coordinate box first, the gravitated level dimension will refer to the reference levels as you place it in plan?
doens't work for me either. the level dimension tool has no offset/dimension origin the section linear level dimension tool does . . .

i'm also interested in this, from your website andy...
Now, go to a section window, select the level dimension tool, and make sure instead of project zero, your dimensions are set to be relative to ’sea-level’ or whatever you called your reference level (in this case it is called ‘average grade’), and throw a dimension or two on your structure. NOTE: ’sea-level’ will show up on every marker. If you don’t want this, start your string, and ctrl-click the rest of the markers along the string - these will arrive without the name, just the value.
i often never want that bloody suffix text, so this tip is going to be a real help! thanks!

ben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Andy Thomson
Advisor
You had me worried, yes, it still works. Sea level reference level must be set first (by renaming), usually a plus or minus dimension from your project zero, select 'sea level in the 'Z coordinate' drop down, and then select gravity for the mesh, and place any level marker - the marker I selected was nothing fancy, just the first one that came up. Just tried it. See plan view on mesh below.
Director
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
Andy Thomson
Advisor
One more screenshot - for those who don't know about this teensy weensy drop down arrow....and mesh gravity to left...
Director
__archiben
Booster
uhhhh. nope.

this is using the level dimension tool in the floor plan window right?

i have a surveyor's RL and sea level set as negative offsets in my file. switched the 'z' reference level and turned on gravity to mesh. nothing happens except it referencing from project zero . . .

ben
b e n f r o s t
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Do you have the miracle version of ArchiCAD?

Still doesn't work here. Would you mind posting a small mod file?

Cheers,
Link.
__archiben
Booster
are you sure your project zero isn't at the 'correct' height relative to sea level to begin with, andy?!

ben
b e n f r o s t
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
~/archiben wrote:
are you sure your project zero isn't at the 'correct' height relative to sea level to begin with, andy?!

ben
I wasn't going to say it!!

He deserves much more credit than that........

Cheers,
Link.
Learn and get certified!