Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Lighting/Modelling

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys,
I am so engulfed in the world of 3D renderings and animations. I came here basically to see what archicad has to offer. Im impressed to a great extent however i would like to understand its lighting capabilities. I tried rendering a night scene but it just dont seem to work. Adjusting the camera seems to be a challenge too.
In addition, how do you model window covers in Archicad?
Hope this isn't too much to ask?

thanks
Ters

Think real, think big......THINK POSITIVE!
8 REPLIES 8
TomWaltz
Participant
What didn't work? What did you try and how did it not look as you expected? Maybe posting the image would tell us more.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
I came here basically to see what archicad has to offer
Archicad is for me the best architectural software you can use.Architectural not rendering or lighting simulating software.You can do a lot and saves you huuuuge amount of time.
however i would like to understand its lighting capabilities
there are quite a lot of lighting capabilities through the lightworks rendering engine but I m not the one to tell.Dwight??? Where are you?
I tried rendering a night scene but it just dont seem to work. Adjusting the camera seems to be a challenge too.
You need sometime to render a night scene.About your camera comment...C O M E O N.....GIVE ME A BREAK! In my opinion there isnt an easier way to adjust a camera than the archicad way.Obviously you havent played enough with it!Post as a render to see and read some post that may interest you on other sections of this forum with training purposes to get a better idea.And delete please the one of the two posts that you ve double posted.
stefan
Expert
ArchiCAD is a nice architectural modeler. It has rendering capabilities, but the workflow is not oriented at visualization (too much dialogs to open and close).

For best quality export into 3ds max, Cinema4D, Maxwell or Artlantis Studio (or similar software). But the exchange and update of geometry might pose problems.

For easiest integration, try the LightWorks rendering engine. Use the dedicated LightWorks lights
- SkyObject = hemispherical series of lights
- WindowObject = arealight
- SunObject = directional light

and browse through the LWA materials and shaders. Spend time. Buy the book from Dwight Atkinson. Practice. Have some fun.

But visualization is only in the sideline of what ArchiCAD is made to do.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
My firts attempt in night rendering in AC. Played with it to make a lights composition study. I was really impressed!

Window covers are an integral part of the Window Object. Look for "Shutter" in Parameters. For special ones you have to model them yourself.
Night scene AC.gif
Anonymous
Not applicable
Kliment its really impressive for your first night render in archicad. Wish I knew how to work eds max and Vray to have better quality renderings.You have to tell me some things about it kliment.There is my first attempt on night rendering in archicad 3 years ago with archicad 8.2. I Think it pretty good for first attempt 3 years ago.What do you think people?
stefan
Expert
kritikos79 wrote:
Kliment its really impressive for your first night render in archicad. Wish I knew how to work eds max and Vray to have better quality renderings.You have to tell me some things about it kliment.There is my first attempt on night rendering in archicad 3 years ago with archicad 8.2. I Think it pretty good for first attempt 3 years ago.What do you think people?
Light quality is fine for regular projects. Not photorealistic, but usable in discussions with clients. For competitions or high-profile work, it is not good enough.

Textures are severely limiting the quality and this will not be solved with better rendering engines.

P.S. I'm not claiming to do much better, although I'm sure that I can come up with some decent lighting using VIZ and its latest release of the Mental Ray plugin. VRay is nice, but Mental Ray in VIZ 2008 and 3ds max 9 has considerably matured, regarding architectural lighting and materials.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I am just wondering if it is possible to export the 3D rendered picture from AC10 to 3ds max or I have to rebuild the whole thing in 3ds max again. Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
rx_rotory wrote:
Hi, I am just wondering if it is possible to export the 3D rendered picture from AC10 to 3ds max or I have to rebuild the whole thing in 3ds max again. Thanks.
You can export the Archicad model to 3DS. But exporting the rendered picture won't do you much good - a rendered picture is no longer 3D - it's a 2D image.

To export a 3D model, just view your Archicad model in the 3D window and go to File -> Save As and then choose .3ds as your format.

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!