Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

3" details to 1 1/2" details pen set creation

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need to change pen set of placed details that were originally drawn
at 3" = 1'-0" so that they read correctly at 1 1/2" = 1'-0"
I have not done this before! Is there an easy way to convert the pen set
I'm using now to a new pen set with all the pens the same except for line weights 50% of the original pen set? Or, is this not a direct correlation between size and line weight? Seems logical?
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Pen line weights should print the same no matter what the scale they are put on the layout sheet at. You shouldn't need to have a pen set for each different scale.
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's true that the pens will print at the same weight regardless of scale, but I do often tweak pen sets for a better read at different scales. Usually it's just an adjustment to the cut outline pen (pen #1 by default and, in my case, by strict application) to keep walls from getting blobby at small scales and getting them to pop at larger ones.
Karl Ottenstein
I like to have a different set for large scale details. The difference in weight that is visible at small scale is all but invisible at large scale unless the weights are beefed up IMHO. Purely a personal / artistic preference.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
This detail was created @ 3" = 1'-0"
When I place it on my detail sheet and change the scale so that it fits
into a square the lines begin to bleed into each other.
See next post.
Anonymous
Not applicable
changing the scale to 1 1/2" = 1'-0"
Because the detail is drawn with lines and fills. The pen weights
are staying the same.
Any suggestions as to how to correct this with a special pen set to assign
to detail drawings?
I deffinetly need to solve this problem ASAP.
It would be nice to have a pen set that adjusted for changing scale from
3" to half scale as well (pens would get even larger line weight)

I also have the problem when printing my floor plan 1/4" native
to 1/8" on a layout, but have been living with the results...Ugh
Anonymous
Not applicable
Make sure you're saving the pen set correctly by going to Options - element attributes - pens and colors. Pen an existing set and make the changes to pen sizes and then store as 'whatever name you want'. On your layout select the drawing window and open the setting dialog box and make sure the pen set for that window is the one you created. Make sure in the view menu you have the true line weights set to show.

Hope that helps
Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay, will follow your instructions and see if I can get this to work w/ a
copy of my job file.

Thank you all for helping!!

Seems like I am spending half my time on this job just trying to
get the computer output correct.

outpostarc wrote:
Make sure you're saving the pen set correctly by going to Options - element attributes - pens and colors. Pen an existing set and make the changes to pen sizes and then store as 'whatever name you want'. On your layout select the drawing window and open the setting dialog box and make sure the pen set for that window is the one you created. Make sure in the view menu you have the true line weights set to show.

Hope that helps
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mark,

When I get into pens and colors from the options, element attributes, pens and colors. Is the highlighted penset the current penset for my entire project?
If so, I guess the idea is to somehow make a copy of this penset since it's
the one I used to draw the details in the first place.
then make changes to the copy and name it so I can find it when I go to change the detail drawing pen set.
Then when I'm done doing that I probably should make sure the original
highlighted penset is highlighted again before I leave the dialog box so that the project penset does not change?

Does that sound right?

If I type a description of my new penset with the originally highlighted penset still highlighted and do a "store as" will that new pen set be a copy of
the current project pen set that I can use for my details?

outpostarc wrote:

Hope that helps
Anonymous
Not applicable
Johnathan,

Yes, however, the drawings in the navigator or the layout sheets can be set with the pen set you want. So double clicking in the navigator changes it to the one you assigned to it.

I typically use one pen set for all my work and then make the pen set assignments on the layout sheets.