Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Beam terminology confusing

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I am a bit confused by Beam terminology.
In the Beam Settings Dialog, it talks about Center Line in the Floor Plan and Section panel. But is it really a center line? After all, it can be offset from the center or longitudinal axis of the Beam.
Then, in the Model View Options Dialog, it talks about Reference Line in the Show Beam as field. But if the option is set, it will display the Center Line that it talks about in its Settings Dialog.
Then in View\On-Screen View Options, there is the Walls & Beams Reference Lines toggle. If it is ON, then not the Center Line will be shown on the Floor Plan, but a thick Reference Line with a direction arrow in it.
So again, the term Reference Line is used at two different places but not the same thing is referred to.
I guess if the Model View Options Dialog text would be changed to "Center Line" we would be one step closer.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
2 REPLIES 2
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
laszlonagy wrote:
I guess if the Model View Options Dialog text would be changed to "Center Line" we would be one step closer.
I'd prefer to see it called Reference Line, consistent with the Wall Tool.

This is one of GS's biggest development issues IMO, not taking enough care to ensure consistency throughout the program.

Cheers,
Link.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Link wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
I'd prefer to see it called Reference Line, consistent with the Wall Tool.

This is one of GS's biggest development issues IMO, not taking enough care to ensure consistency throughout the program.

Cheers,
Link.
Thinking again about it, I think you are right. I just looked at the Model View Options Dialog again and there it says "Show Beam as" not "Show Beam's Reference Line" which would be the same as the On-Screen View Option.
In this case only the terminology used in the Settings Dialog should be modified to "Reference Line" instead of "Center Line".
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!