Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Graphic Override for Beams

VivSta
Contributor

Hello! I am working on ceiling plans and trying to use a GO (grey fill) for the ceiling beams. I noticed that the GO I created only works with the beam that is set in an elevation below the cut plane and not the one above that. I played with changing the home story, however that doesn't make any change. Any ideas how to make the GO apply to the second beam displayed on my attached screenshot? Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_1.png
11 REPLIES 11
Lingwisyer
Guru

Are the beams above set to display without a Cover Fill?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

Hi @VivSta,

If i can ask you:

If this is an Arch. Ceiling plan for Ground floor so the 1st beam is placed correctly and belonging to the 1st floor structural slab @ level +4.45, but the 2nd beam doesn't belong neither to this floor nor to this ceiling, am i wrong?

But if this is an Arch. Ceiling plan for First floor then

the 1sr beam doesn't belong and the 2nd one is not linked to the right home story as it should be linked to First floor not Roof floor and to change that keep the value for (To project 0) and change the home story to First floor that will affect the value for current story to be 3.60 to the top of the beam.

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

Both beams are set to dispaly with a cover fill.

Cover fills only apply to beams that are below your Floor Plan Cut Plane height.

If the beam is above the FPCP then you can only override the line style and colours of the beam.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hi @Mahmoud Qenawi , 

This is an arch.ceiling plan for the first floor. The first beam is modeled at the floor level of the first floor and the ceiling beam is modeled at the ceiling level of the first floor. I tried relinking the 2nd beam's home story from the roof to the first floor, but that didn't change anything. Unfortunately, I think Barry's response below is correct: I cannot add a cover fill to the 2nd beam because the floor plan cut plane is below it. 

The FPCP is saved with your View, so you could raise it for your beam setouts.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

Hi @Lingwisyer ,

If I raise the FPCP then I won't be able to cut through the walls. Please, check the attached img.

Screenshot 2023-09-18 112754.png

Hi @Barry Kelly ,

I think you are correct. I tried lowering the 2nd beam 1m below and the cover fill appeared fine. To my understanding, ceiling plans are tricky, essentially because they are still floor plans with different settings and layer combinations, to make it seem like you are cutting the building and looking towards the ceiling. To your knowledge, is there any possible workaround to make the beam above the FPCP appear with a cover fill? 

The only way I know of to force a cover fill regardless of the height of the beam is to set the floor plan display to 'Outlines Only'.

This forces it to display as if it is below the FPCP but will affect all views where you can see that beam.

With a ceiling plan, you are not looking up at the ceiling, you are still looking down at it.

But as you have discovered, if you sett the FPCP to be above the ceiling, (beams) you may not see the walls as you want.

To get around this you can do a 'Reflected Ceiling Plan'.

Create a 3D Document from the floor plan and in the 3D Document settings, you can make it a reflected ceiling plan.

Then adjust the 'Show up to' height to the storey above and this should include those beams above the FPCP and below the storey above.

BarryKelly_0-1695029343860.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11