Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Importing view map?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi
Is there a way to import the whole view map into another file? I want to import the views from a new template into another file, which was created back when we used the view map very poorly. I don’t want to put them on a layout I want to put it from one view map to another view map. I’ve tried file-merge but that imports either the model or the layout book and I don’t want that.
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Unfortunately, this is not possible to do in ARCHICAD.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Hi. Is there a particular reason why this is not possible?  Surely it is a function many users require.  It seems to be the only function that can't be transferred between files and is rather essential to updating office templates.   I find it hard to comprehend that this hasn't been developed. Do Graphisoft manually update their template view maps with new releases?  

Views in the View Map are based on View Points for the Project Map together with settings for pen sets, layer combinations, graphic overrides, renovation filters, etc.

These View Points and settings may be completely different between any two files, so it would not be an easy process to copy them across.

The view points for sections and elevations can be copied & pasted by simply copying the section elevation markers from one file to another.

But will they relate to the model in the second file - you will probably have to adjust them anyway.

Likewise the settings for the views may not exist, or maybe they do but they are slightly different.

I think it is all too complicated to try and copy all of this information across without messing up the file.

@JMinc wrote:

Do Graphisoft manually update their template view maps with new releases?  

There is nothing to update with each new release.

It is simply a case of open the file in the new version.

All the views will still be there.

It is just that it is not possible to transfer a view from one file to another.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Yes, I understand how the view map functions, however I’m not sure if that clarifies why importing views cannot be developed. 

Just to clarify, we have an office template with our own specific views.  We have created several views of our own over and above the views that come with the standard Archicad template.  I don’t know if the standard template is a Graphisoft template or one from our Archicad Agent in NZ.    The standard template doesn’t vary significantly with every new release, but on occasion there are   updates to the view map folder structure, i.e., additional views added.

With each new release of Archicad we import everything from our previous template into the new default Archicad template. This is so that our template is based on the most up-to-date Archicad template.  But obviously it is not possible to import our views, and we recreate them manually which is time-consuming. 

Is it not necessary to use the standard Archicad template provided?  Or should we simply continue using our template in the new release of Archicad?  I have always assumed that we should be using the latest standard template as the basis for our own template.  But thinking about it maybe that isn't necessary, and we just import any new libraries etc?   Just want to be sure we aren’t missing any new features however.  Your thoughts?   

The View (in the View Map) is dependent on the View Point (in the Project Map) being in place.

Also the views are dependent on the pen set, graphic override, renovation filter, etc. for the particular file they are in.

What happens when you try to copy a view from file A into file B, where file B does not have the correct view point (storey, section, elevation, detail, worksheet, etc.) or does not have the correct pen set, graphic override, renovation filter and other settings that a view contains.

@JMinc wrote:

Is it not necessary to use the standard Archicad template provided?

You can continue using your current template in new versions.

I have been using the same template since version 6.5.

Obviously you update it with new attributes, turn off legacy settings, add new favourites and check out any other new settings with each version that might be important.

I find it is easier to bring your old template up to date than it is to create a new one for each version.

The same with the Work Environment, if you have a custom set-up.

Keep your own WE and ad the new command to the menus an toolbars, and check through the other settings.

Basically compare the old and the new.

I find that easier than taking the new WE and adding all of my own customisation to it.

Essentially you are sticking with what you know and adding new features.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Yes, that makes sense.  Thanks for the tips and advice.  Originally (many years ago) I think we were basically doing it that way but changed for some reason along the way.   Thank you.