Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Printing From ArchiCAD 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I have always been able to print my layouts to my HP Designjet 500 but with ArchiCAD14 I can't get it to work.
I can print PDF's but print or publish to paper doesnt work.
It works from a new AC file with no library parts but once the AC14 library parts are added no go.
I have tried on my XP and Windows 7 machine and the same thing happens....nothing!
It works fine in AC13 and below but not in AC14.
Are we meant to only print from PDFs now?
Any assistance gratefully accepted.

Thanks,
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok. So as directed by GS I have set up a new project in AC14 with only libraries current with AC14. I still cant print!!! I can print marquee sections of my layout but not the full layout!!! How frustrating. I keep having to save as AC13 file and then load AC13 libraries and then it works as it used to in a short time.
I tried to upgrade my HP Designjet 500 driver and do an automatic check of my installed drivers but Windows is blocking the file loading on my computer!!! So I can't do that either and there are so many drivers on the HP site I am not sure which is correct, which is current, etc.
Any assistance gratefully accepted.
Thanks,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Graeme,

If it helps, the driver for the HP Designjet 500 is found here -

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=20987&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=25301&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=228

I don't know exactly which model you have, but the latest driver for all models and both XP and 7 seems to be version 7.10 dated 30OCT2009. Just say 'yes' if it pops up and asks you whether you are sure you want to download it. I shouldn't worry about the other downloads for the moment (unless specifically instructed to) it's just the driver you need.

I hope it sorts out your printing problem!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the help. I loaded the new driver but it only loads the 510 option and not the 500..very strane when it says 500! It must be for newer machines. Once loaded the 510 driver doesnt work at all unfortunately on the Designjet 500. Back to square one!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Resolved the issue. It is a printer issue. For those having the same problems download the latest driver here as suggested by Peter http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=au&prodNameId=20987&pr...

The driver is: HP DesignJet 500 PCL3GUI 32-bit Driver 6.08 25 Aug 2009 2.1 56K: 5m 512K: <1m .

There is a trick as it is a 32 bit printer driver when using on a 16 bit machine. Add printer/have disk/install driver from where it has been saved. Right click on the new Printer in the Printer and Fax window and go to Properties/Advanced/Services/Troubleshooting/Ensure all 3 boxes are ticked if you are using a 16 bit application.

I hope this helps others as it has been causing me problems for weeks.
archislave
Enthusiast
I am curios what is the 16 bit application? Isn't Archicad 32 bit?

Thanks
Archislave

archicad 16.0 US, iMac El Capitan
Anonymous
Not applicable

True AC is a 32 or 64 bit application!

I attach a copy of the boxes required to be ticked in the printer settings for it to work on my system (as advised by HP tech support). I have tried it on my 64 bit machine as well but it doesn't work without the "Compatibility with 16 bit applications" box ticked.

I am not sure why this box has to be ticked but until it is AC14 won't print on my machine? Previous versions of AC worked without this box ticked.
archislave
Enthusiast
I noticed that the link to the website is for XP. Do you think it would work for Windows 7? I am checking for someone else who was told the DJ 500 will not work on Win 7. I use Mac OSX myself and of course there is not support for these older plotters, unfortunately.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=20987&pr...
Archislave

archicad 16.0 US, iMac El Capitan
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
archislave wrote:
I use Mac OSX myself and of course there is not support for these older plotters, unfortunately.
You can still plot, I am plotting to a HP Designjet 650C using PlotFlow for X.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Archislave,

I print from laptop, which is the win 7 64 bit machine, through my XP machine as a network printer. So unfortunately I don't know if the win 7 machine works directly with the DJ500 printer.

By the way I was considering upgrading the DJ500 but the tech guy advise it is still a very good machine and still provides comparably good results.

Regards,