BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Publishing to DWG takes too long & creates huge files. H

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to save my archicad work in DWG format. I use Archicad's "publisher" to do this. I have about four stories to publish into dwg format. I have converted one story successfully....it converted pretty fast and the DWG file was no more than 400kb. Now, when I do the remaining 3 stories...using the same process and the same translator etc. its takes too long and I end up with DWG files larger than 35MB. Can anyone enlighten me with a solution to this problem..I would greatly appreciate this. Please take note that I have experienced the same problem in Archicad 8.1. Now I'm facing the same problem with Archicad 9.0.
13 REPLIES 13
Erika Epstein
Booster
Could you post a screenshot of your roof plan?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
Could you post a screenshot of your roof plan?
Couldn't get a screen shot, for now. But here's a jpeg.
Erika Epstein
Booster
I'm not seeing anything obvious that would make the dwg so large.

You do have the 3D roof tiles on a non-showing layer?
Can you post a screen shot of the DWG? ( use the Print screen button above insert and then paste into a photo editor)

As discussed elsewhere, if you only show part of the available drawing on a plotmaker layout, when you publish a dwg it saves all of the drawing. That said, are there areas of your model outside what you show in your roof plan layout that might have a lot of facets like the roof tile curves?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Hielke Bakker
Newcomer
DWG-exports with bitmap fills are a lot larger compared to exports with vectorial fills.
I'm pretty sure the fill you're using for your roof is a bitmap.
Try changing the fill to a random vectorial fill and export again.
If this solves the problem you just have to dive in the manual to learn how to program the fill you want as a vectorial fill.
Learn and get certified!