cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Without OLE in AC10, is there a good solution...

MMontgomery
Enthusiast
... for embedding Word docs and Excel files into our layouts?

I've created an extensive set of notes and schedules in both Excel and Word for use in Plotmaker, which, sadly, are now all defunct.

What is the best approach to circumventing the problem?
AC 6-27 - Intel i9-9900K - RTX3090 - Windows 11 - 64GB RAM
17 REPLIES 17
TomWaltz
Participant
MMontgomery wrote:
... for embedding Word docs and Excel files into our layouts?

I've created an extensive set of notes and schedules in both Excel and Word for use in Plotmaker, which, sadly, are now all defunct.

What is the best approach to circumventing the problem?
Print to PDF then link the PDFs onto your Layouts.
Tom Waltz
MMontgomery
Enthusiast
Thank you for the response.

I've been doing it this way but was hoping there was a better method that didn't require creating more files. Also, being able to open the OLE object directly from plotmaker was very handy.
AC 6-27 - Intel i9-9900K - RTX3090 - Windows 11 - 64GB RAM
Scott Bulmer
Booster
You can open the Word or Excel document, select & copy text, then in AC Text; double click to open text writing area then paste. The only item I could not get to paste was the grid/cells from Excel.
I think that should work.
S
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
Anonymous
Not applicable
With Pre AC10 Projects I wold have a Live OLE link to Engineering Spreadsheet information. I came to expect this easy and live link to the Engineering data. Well know I have to create a "non-live" PDF file and link this.

I just traded in my HP DesignJet plotter and analog black line (large format copier) for a used OCE 9400 toner based printer/plotter. I am told that this OCE only supports TIFF images and not PDF. AM I to worry now that the PDF information will not be printed/plotted?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I also miss the OLE functions, but mainly the ones for excel. Any reason why the PDF import couldn't've co-existed with OLE?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I do not know much about API and Add-ons, but could a Add-on for the OLE (I am on a PC) be created for AC10. I would purchase it in a heartbeat.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
From what I understand this wasn't a decision Graphisoft made, but a decision that was made for Graphisoft. Other beta tester could probably provide a better insight, but I was under the impression that Microsoft is either not supporting OLE anymore, or that they are not supporting it for GS's intentions.

I could be wrong....

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
...I was under the impression that Microsoft is either not supporting OLE anymore, or that they are not supporting it for GS's intentions.

I could be wrong....

Cheers,
Link.
For What it is worth, I am still using MS Excel 97 (Office 97), which also is not supported my MS (to which I do not care). I checked out a trial version of Office 2003 and Excel 2003, and it did not seem worth it to upgrade. And as far as OLE not be "stable" I have have zero problems with OLE to PM9.
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I have also noticed that embedded PDF's do NOT PLOT! only print... This bites for trying to send your blueprinter plot files...

Also, be careful that your DRAWINGS have the little TRANSPARENT check box checked or your plots will come out as a black rectangle.

Writing PDF files for the blueprinter was an option, but some fonts (such as the ones I am using, do not get embedded....
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop