BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Zone Area Calculation Bug

Benji_W
Booster

I just wanted to make the development team aware of an issue.

If you create a 10' x 10' zone, then the zone stamp area calculation will correctly show the area as 100 sf. If you use the split tool to divide this zone into two sections, each new zone stamp will inaccurately read 100 sf, and will not update unless you manually resize each zone. I'm not sure if there are other instances in which this will also occur – I've only just found this one.

I often use the split tool when creating zones. When placing zones, I'll often extend one face of the zone beyond the wall that encloses it (in plan view), and then split along the wall face. This seems to be the only way to automatically move the zone stamp in the geometric center of the zone (even the "Update Zones..." function doesn't do this). Unfortunately, I've just now come to realize that many, many of my past room areas might have been slightly over-exaggerated...

Archicad 25 – macOS Big Sur 11.6.1 – 27" iMac 2017
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein

This is standard and long-standing behavior of zones.  There is a long-standing wish for automatic zone updates, but we don't have that yet.

You don't need to resize the split zone... you instead need to use the Update Zones command:

https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/26/INT/index.htm?rhcsh=1&rhnewwnd=0&rhmapid=#t=_AC26_Help%2F040_Eleme...

It is really essential that you do this as-needed, and certainly before generating documents.  I really do wish that automatic zone update would be implemented soon, after 20+ years of people wishing for it.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Yves
Advocate

Used the measured area and not the calculated area

Yves Houssier
Belgium
Archicad 19 -> 24
iMac - Mac Os 10,13

@Yves wrote:

Used the measured area and not the calculated area

The calculated area is not the same as measured area, and the user must clearly understand what the possible area reductions are using calculated area.  This can have important implications for things such as floor tile quantity, HVAC requirements, etc.

https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/26/INT/index.htm?rhcsh=1&rhnewwnd=0&rhmapid=#t=_AC26_Help%2F150_UserI...

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!