Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

dimension settings - changing reference points

Anonymous
Not applicable
maybe archicad does not do this.

i am used to revit where i can alter the points, say on a wall, that are being dimensioned. say, inside face, centerline, outside, etc. just by clicking the ref line.

also, once i place a dim, it seems that i cant just drag or relocate the point being dim'd. i currently delete and redim. =slow.
9 REPLIES 9
Karl Ottenstein
That's correct. There is no shortcut like in Revit to switch the dimensioned face automatically. You need to dimension the face you want correctly the first time if you don't want to have to edit things.

In AC, you do not have to delete the entire dimension string. Instead, select the dimension string and then ctrl-click (cmd-click) the point that you want dimensioned - or added to the dimension string. Then click the intersection of the dimension string and the leader for the dimension point that you want deleted and press the Delete key.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, not the answer i was hoping for but i was looking for the lazy way out.

thanks!

--------- one more dim question. -lol.

revit...you can dim two objects then in the dim text type in a new dim and the ojects will adjust to the entered dimension....possible with AC?

thanks again.
Karl Ottenstein
knosaj wrote:
revit...you can dim two objects then in the dim text type in a new dim and the ojects will adjust to the entered dimension....possible with AC?
No. This is a great feature in Revit - dimensions are bi-directional. In ArchiCAD, they only measure. To change the size of what is dimensioned, you must stretch those elements, either directly or with the marquee.

Related to this: in Revit, you become accustomed to seeing a temporary dimension as you rubber band a wall and can trust that the dimension that you read there is "correct" - that is, if you see 5 meters, you can click knowing that you have just created a 5 meter wall. (Or, of course, type in a length in the temp dimension.)

In ArchiCAD, there is nothing like temporary dimensions - but Revit users may get confused when they see the ArchiCAD "Tracker" (like a tooltip) that is showing the length as you move your mouse about. You can NOT click based on what you read there if you want an accurate model (unless you have snapping turned on, which is rare). If you see 5 meters and click, you can have a small rounding error which will create havoc later in your model. You MUST type "5" in the Tracker (e.g.) for the length to be sure that the wall is 5 meters long.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Karl. you have been extremely helpful!
Anonymous
Not applicable
"In ArchiCAD, there is nothing like temporary dimensions - but Revit users may get confused when they see the ArchiCAD "Tracker" (like a tooltip) that is showing the length as you move your mouse about. You can NOT click based on what you read there if you want an accurate model (unless you have snapping turned on, which is rare). If you see 5 meters and click, you can have a small rounding error which will create havoc later in your model. You MUST type "5" in the Tracker (e.g.) for the length to be sure that the wall is 5 meters long."

I wonder whats the use of tracker if the dimensions it reads are not accurate.
This is something that should be fixed!
David Maudlin
Rockstar
jocontreras wrote:
I wonder whats the use of tracker if the dimensions it reads are not accurate.
This is something that should be fixed!
The Tracker (and Coordinates palette) are using the Working Units preference, so the user can set a higher degree of feedback if desired. ArchiCAD uses a higher degree of accuracy than can be usefully displayed, so the reliable way to input dimensions is with the keyboard, not by dragging the cursor and waiting for the correct dimension to show in the Tracker.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
David wrote:
[The Tracker (and Coordinates palette) are using the Working Units preference, so the user can set a higher degree of feedback if desired. ArchiCAD uses a higher degree of accuracy than can be usefully displayed, so the reliable way to input dimensions is with the keyboard, not by dragging the cursor and waiting for the correct dimension to show in the Tracker.
This is no different than AutoCAD -- it's good practice to enter dimensions via the keyboard.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi There, I'm a Revit user just switching to AC, and yes I know they are different programs.
I've been looking for this answer regarding "active dimensions" feature from Revit for two days now and that really creeps me out. That is a feature I use at least every minute, specially when starting a project.
Click on the object (wall or window, etc), click on the dimension, enter the number you want, BAM.
Now, If AC doesn't have this, and looks like a very advanced program my question is: How do you guys do to change things along the way? I mean a very quick way to place things in a precise location?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You basically need to familiarize yourself with numeric input in ArchiCAD.
You usually specify the desired distance and angle value WHEN creating the element (not after placing it as in Revit).
The Tracker will be your friend in this (check its use in the Help files).

I will not even try to start to explain all the intricacies, instead here are some links:

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-17-int-reference-guide/interaction/on-screen-input-...

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-17-int-reference-guide/interaction/on-screen-input-...

(probably the most important of these links from your point of view)
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27