Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Associative Label Object No Longer Associative When Object Is Hidden Behind Another Element

Jarrod Phillips
Enthusiast

Hi All,

I was testing a simple hidden line object that is placeable as an associated label to show objects when hidden behind joinery such as GPO's. The intention being that if the GPO was repositioned in the floor plan view, then the elevational view would automatically update showing the new position of the GPO behind the joinery unit. But as it turns out, the associative label loses connection as soon as the GPO is fully hidden behind the joinery unit (see images below).

06db4aa6-5c39-4d38-b6fc-bd90a0d151dc.jpg

9bc3630b-24b0-485e-aed2-b04663674818.jpg

  

4e8f44e9-87fd-44ec-899b-d3aca94e8751.jpg

Has anyone come across this before and is there a way to 'hard code' the label to remain associated when the associated element is hidden or is this just one of Archicad's quirks?

Thanks in advance!

Jarrod

BIM Manager | Graduate of Architecture
Fulton Trotter Architects - Sydney, Australia
Archicad 15 - 27
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly

I am not quite sure I follow how your hidden line label works.

However, labels have an option to 'Hide with associated element'.

BarryKelly_0-1724831351021.png

So if you associate it to the GPO and the GPO becomes hidden, the label will also become hidden if this option is on.

With the option off, the GPO will still become hidden by the cabinet, but the label will still show.

I am not sure if that helps.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hi Barry,

The custom label object is a very simple rectangle constructed with line2 commands with parameters to control the width and height. The images demonstrate what happens when I move the labelled element, as you can see in the first two images the label moves with the labelled element. However, once the labelled element is moved entirely behind the cabinet object (which you can see in the last image) the label dis-associates with the labelled element.

Hide with associated element is turned off in this instance as the label would disappear. I very much want the label to remain visible and stay associated to the labelled element even if the labelled element disappears. It seems that Archicad doesn't allow the label to remain associated to the labelled element once it is no longer visible. Once the labelled element is visible again, the association kicks back in and the label jumps to wherever the labelled element is positioned. My question is whether or not there is a way to hard code this into the object to remain associated regardless of whether or not the labelled element is visible. My suspicion is that it is not possible, however I thought I would ask the question anyway. By all means, if someone has a work around for this that doesn't involve GDL, I am all ears.

Cheers,

Jarrod

BIM Manager | Graduate of Architecture
Fulton Trotter Architects - Sydney, Australia
Archicad 15 - 27