Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

2 Hard disks OR RAM?

Anonymous
Not applicable
To use ArchiCAD is better to have much ram or to have 2 rigid disks? I have read are good for having two discs, one for the system and another one for the archives and the memory.

thanks,

Gabriel
5 REPLIES 5
Dwight
Newcomer
I vote for the 1 hard disk and RAM option.

RAM is always faster - drives today are caching crucial bits of applications to make them operate more quickly.

Archicad currently only addresses 2Gb of RAM. Many of my even moderate renderings employ that much.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
The processor is the main limitation as long as there is enough RAM. The only reason for the hard drive to matter is if there's not enough RAM. Of course too much RAM doesn't do any good either, so I guess for now 2GB is the way to go. (At least I hope so, that's all my poor little laptop can hold.)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I listened to it of a person who spoke on the video edition with Adobe. It said that with a pentium 4, 1 Giga de Ram and 2 hard discs it is possible to be used Adobe, but that were very important to have 2 discs.

Thanks for the aid.
Dwight
Newcomer
Like, kid… why don't you say that you want to edit uncompressed video??

Go ask them on the F******g Adobe site. This is about Archicad.

In that case, a second drive is right. It makes sense to use a remote firewire drive, say, when editing video because of the immense size of the files and the need to continuously transfer large data blocks. This burns drives out a lot.

In this case, you nedd BOTH RAM and the extra drive.....
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I do not want to make video. I thought that archicad with two rigid disks could work better.

Thanks.