Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC 20 opening older version PLN files

Llian
Advocate
So, I understand AC 20 can open AC 17 PLN files....
What do I do with my project files created in 14?
Anyone any idea?

Should I save them to AC 17?
Lilian Seow
LEED AP | cSBA | CAPM | PMP
Interior-Architecture and BIM Management
AC20 USA | 27- macOS 10.14.6| 4 GHz Intel Core i7| 32 GB RAM | Archicad-user since 1994!
10 REPLIES 10
mikas
Expert
Erwin wrote:
Hey Llian, not sure about the current iMAC, the one I have at home is the last model before they went all fancy 5k screens, but I can upgrade RAM
^ That's still right with the newest, but only with a 27" iMac models. iMac 21,5" memory is soldered on the logic board. You have to buy RAM-upgrade at the time of purchase and pay Apples high prices. I would opt for i7 too. It gives approximately one third more rendering power (1,33 x i5) according to my findings. If you don't render a lot, I think i5 is a perfectly good choice. Fusion drive is ok. I would take 512 GB Flash though.

Processor swap (i5->i7) is possible with iMacs as DIY, but it is a really tedious task. Apple does not offer that as a service.

Is your 2010 iMac a 21,5" or 27" model? It should be good for El Capitan, even 2007 models are with 4GB. I don't think it's enough memory for ArchiCAD use, so you might want to consider buying some. The more the better, of course.

It's quite possible to upgrade the HDD to SSD. SSD will make a really big difference in overall speed. It's a more demanding job though, and I don't think Apple itself is offering to do that. Repair shops will do it for money.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS