Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Apple's Mighty Mouse & AC9

MSotero
Participant
My Apple Mighty Mouse arrived.... plug it in and it goes (my OS 10.3.9 does not allow for "customizing" mouse options.... one needs Tiger for that and one needs to install their mouse software for Tiger).
Apparently it works with Windows 2000 & XP without additional software too, but it is unclear exactly which functions are avaiable as the manual says to see the Mouse control panel for that.

Ergonomics:
Overall it feels very natural in the hand.
I've never been attracted to the multi-button mice due to feeling so clunky.
The Scroll Ball and left/right button/sensors are very smooth and unobtrusive and for me intuitive.

Using it in AC9:
The Scroll ball activates pan & zoom commands in the plan & 3d views in AC9 automatically & simultaneously.
Up/down or left/right ball movements will zoom in/out.
The position of the cursor on screen will be the center of the zoom (does not require one to press down on anything, just move the cursor where you want the center).
If you press & hold down the scroll ball, then it Pans. If you move the ball while holding it down, then you can Pan & Zoom simultaneously.

The "default" right click does what the Control/Click does with a basic apple mouse.
I don't necessary see this as an advantage over Control/Click as it all seems to be personal preference. But accommodating personal preference is a good thing.
Further you can override exactly what right clicking does if desired (see below).

Expose:
Expose is a nice way for viewing or changing which plan/section/3d window you are using.
In 10.3.9 one can control the Expose activation for Mighty Mouse choosing System Preferences... and clicking Expose.

The Mouse settings at the bottom of the dialog work differently depending on the "exact combination" you use. It seems strange.
You'll need to experiment as I can't find any written explanation why it works as it does.
Also you can use modifier keys such as Command, Control, Option or Shift to change what happens.

For instance the following setting combination does this:
All Windows: Mouse Button 4 (will spread out all open application windows when squeezing the side buttons)
Application Windows: Right Mouse Button (will spread out only current application windows, e.g. AC9) note if you use a modifier key here with the right button, then you can maintain the default right click action too.

I was surprised at how much I like using the mouse to activate Expose and the scroll ball does seem to make it much quicker to move around.
55 REPLIES 55
Anonymous
Not applicable
The only way I know of to get the middle to pan is to set to set it up as a keystroke command in USB Overdrive for the whatever your keyboard shortcut is for pan (look in your work enviroment menus) This will allow you to have panning, but it won't work quite the same as on the old wheel mouse, but it does work.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Scott, it works now... as you said, it is not as ideal as it should be, (as it executes the pan command, instead of just panning) -but it is the best we can do.
cheers
MSotero
Participant
gkmethy wrote:
Delete HD/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHIDMouse.kext
A while back I upgraded to Tiger (10.4.2), did NOT install the MM software control panel and Pan & Zoom worked just like in Panther (10.3.9).
Last night I upgraded Tiger to 10.4.3 and it seems to have installed a MM control panel of sorts as part of the upgrade.
The Mac Help says this:
"If you have a Mighty Mouse, use the pop-up menus to choose the action you want for each of the buttons. The scroll ball can also function as a button. To set a button to open an application, choose Other and select an application in the dialog that appears. Choose Button 3 (for the scroll-ball button) or Button 4 (for the side buttons) to use your mouse with a video game, CAD program, or other application that works with a multibutton mouse. Choose Off if you want a button to be inactive."

While the Button 3 option above does allow Pan to function, it won't Zoom. Also, while I could previously Scroll all palettes and dialog boxes, they too stopped. The Button 4 option above seems to do nothing of value.
However, I was able to delete the extension, and after a restart everything was back to normal and functioning as before.
Do the 3rd party MM drivers work with 10.4.3?
Why does AC9 (perhaps other CAD too) seem to have issues with the MM since my other programs don't?
fuzzytnth3
Booster
gkmethy wrote:
fuzzytnth3 wrote:
I've tried to locate the Apple mouse driver but didn't have any luck, I then tried doing a reinstall of the 10.4.2 combo update, again no luck. Any idea where the Apple Mighty Mouse driver would live, so I can delete the pesky thing?
Darn the 10.4.3 update has got the pesky Mighty Mouse Control Panel back and ArchiCAD can't zoom again. I've tried search for the file gk pointed out that fixed the problem before but those sneaky Apple guys have tucked it away so I can't find it. Might have to go and buy a Microsoft two button traditional scrolling mouse

I had got used to scrolling sideways and I miss it when I go on other puters
AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
Rick Thompson
Expert
I've been using the USB overdrive and the MM still zooms and scrolls as before 10.4.3. I have not remove or tampered with the mac os drives at all... so, maybe you would benefit getting USB Overdrive.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
fuzzytnth3
Booster
fuzzytnth3 wrote:
gkmethy wrote:
Darn the 10.4.3 update has got the pesky Mighty Mouse Control Panel back and ArchiCAD can't zoom again. I've tried search for the file gk pointed out that fixed the problem before but those sneaky Apple guys have tucked it away so I can't find it. Might have to go and buy a Microsoft two traditional scrolling mouse

I had got used to scrolling sideways and I miss it when I go on other puters
I'm a fool of a Took and was looking in the wrong place! My Mighty Mouse is now running fine with ArchiCAD (without resorting to getting USB Overdrive)

move along now nothing to see here
AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
Anonymous
Not applicable
That's funny because apple have made advertising for his MM in Apple seminar for architects here... (I think it's a french who presents, it's a really funny "accent"

I hope Apple will propose us very soon a solution !

I don't understand because the zoom works very well in sketchup 5, also from abvent...
Dwight
Newcomer
Abvent does not make SketchUp.

SketchUp is created by a company in Denver, Colorado called "@Last."

In't it nice to have a software where everyting works?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
In't it nice to have a software where everyting works?
Isn't nice, is usual, normal... When you pay a software these prices !!!!

I didn't knew that but it's the same "graphisoft" who make the advertising for sketchup, no ?
Dwight
Newcomer
All of these applications are beginning to work together and different companies distribute in varied countries.
Dwight Atkinson