Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ArchiCAD and Residential?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys, Newbie here. I'm currently looking to move on from 2D AutoCAD to producing 3D models that I'll use to create construction documents and renderings. The only 3D experience I have is with ADT, but that was awhile ago and I really didn't care for it (especially for residential). Anyway, here's my questions are this... I'm looking for an unbiased opinion because we all know one program is better than another at certain things but lack where the other excels. I guess what I'm saying is there is no "perfect" product that suits everyone. Ok, so we are an architecture firm and the work we do is residential (custom homes). First of all, which is better at residential, Revit or ArchiCAD? Again, I’m looking for an unbiased opinion (hopefully from someone that’s used both). I'm fine with someone saying "ArchiCAD is so much better at everything else, but if you're into residential only, Revit might be better for you". My second question is, would you say ArchiCAD and Revit are "overkill" for residential only firms and you'd be better off with a residential product such as Softplan or Chief Architect? I greatly appreciate anyone’s feedback on this.

BTW, I’ve searched and have seen a few responses, but I’m more curious to hear your opinions now that version 9 is out.
30 REPLIES 30
Djordje
Ace
Adalbert wrote:
Ignacio,
You are right as far as the past is concerned but at this point we have a competing software equal or close to be an equal with AC. Unfortunately this software is in the hands of the most powerful player in the field and it may very well become a standard, so the picture you projected is far from being an accurate one.
Don't think so. Not because of the software, be it ArchiCAD or Revit, but because of the nature of the industry. As long as the authorities want paper, and as long as not knowing how to send email, make a PDF, or scan something means that you are illiterate, it will not happen. No non-drafting software will be a standard.

Speaking of the competitor - I personally see a huge problem in it, that is its main advantage. Yes, relationships. I suspect that one spends as much time controlling the relationships, breaking or redefining them, as one does the design. A submission or tender documentation set is a legal document. No, I don't trust myself enough, let alone a software, be it what it may! This is off topic a bit, but consider - in the residential practice, what is the implication of a, say, wall pulling half the house with it two feet out?
Adalbert wrote:
You are correct “ The best practice, in my opinion, is to use whatever works best for now and be prepared to change if circumstances dictate.” This is what I am talking about the “change if circumstances”.
Quite, quite true. What works for you best is the best. Some would not require more power than X, some would want Gehry's CATIA based app. The trick is to recognize the value that XYZ software returns to your practice.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen