Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Flat panels: recommended models?

Anonymous
Not applicable
looking at dual 19-20ish size LCD panels. Better to have 4x3 or 16x9 widescreen? Any brand or model better than others? have been crusing the Dell web site. Using Nvidia quadro 3400 graphics card in P4 3.4gig machine
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have been using a Samsung 213T 21.3" for over a year, and altho it was a little expensive at $1100 open box at Best Buy, It is doing well. Picture is clear and response seems quick. I am unable to use the digital input as the laptop that it is connected to is only analog. The digital interface should be even better than the analog.

Lew Bishop
P4 2.8/768/ nVidia to go 5600 64MB
AC9US
My vote is for wide screen format and whatever make fits the budget.

I love my Sony 23" and if it isn't clear to anyone by now, Dwight likes his Apple 30".

One feature I wish I had was the ability to turn my monitor by 90 degrees. I am currently working on a building that is 100' wide and 1000' long. North is on the long axis. The Apple monitors have this capability and others do I'm sure.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-5030 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.5
JCovarrubias
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Aaron wrote:
My vote is for wide screen format and whatever make fits the budget.

I love my Sony 23" and if it isn't clear to anyone by now, Dwight likes his Apple 30".

One feature I wish I had was the ability to turn my monitor by 90 degrees. I am currently working on a building that is 100' wide and 1000' long. North is on the long axis. The Apple monitors have this capability and others do I'm sure.
Dell LCD's rotate:
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000347031610/
http://tr.graphisoftus.com/
Jeffry Covarrubias
GS US Technical Support Team Leader
P-C2D 1.86GHz/2GB w/ 256MB GeForce 8600GTS; G4 OS 10.4.10 1GHz/1GB "[that other software] is a fancy set of electronic marker pens"
Anonymous
Not applicable
My Samsung also comes with rotating software.

Lew Bishop

P42.8/768/nVidea to go 5600
AC9US
Dwight
Newcomer
Certainly, it was scary to commit so much coin to a 30" display, and throw away the year-old extra juice card I put in the G5 from the start with a special card for the 30".

And while at the beginning, it was GREAT! I am having second thoughts. Here they are:

Since I'm in the middle of producing this book project, I have three page layouts in InDesign, Word documents, Adobe Photoshop CS2 and the new Adobe Bridge [an improved File Browser] open with two working and rendering copies of ArchiCAD open - one for book exercises and one for my REAL WORK. Not to mention email and web browser. Got to stay in touch. Lot of overlap since you want everything BIG. Management crisis. Thank you for EXPOSE - Apple feature to see all windows at once instantly.

Having a single display again is an organizational challenge - While it is horrifying to think that I'll need TWO of these monsters [and how will I look at them both at the same time without messing up my body considering the month of physiotherapy because of bad posture [keep your chin IN!!!] and eye correction issues requiring a special low position mount for the display - and why is the Aeron chair taking so long to arrive?] the truth is that, regretfully, I am thinking that two 23" Sony or Apple or even the questionable bottomofthebarrel Ben-Q displays is a better overall choice.

There. I admitted it. Ergonomics wins.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
I am not joking about misgivings about big display for work. For DVD, however - can't be beat. And new Ambrosia "GooBall" Game is fantastic on 30".

rare to get dual DVI out on anything - think you need a special card.....
but I think it is okay with mac ..... they market 30-incher to PC.....
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
the 6800 ultra i am using has two dvi out. when i bought my pc had a choice of a 19inch tft or 2X17inch tft for an additional £50.
Using 2x17inch works well. (they are "Sharp")
Chazz
Enthusiast
The Dell's go on sale from time to time and when they do they are the best deal out there. 20" for US$485 free shipping to the US. Don't mess with the 19"s they only go 1280x1024. Also, the dell 2005fp is much worse than the 2001FP. Fewer pixels and to my mind an inferior aspect ratio for anything save movie watching. My .02.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
I am not joking about misgivings about big display for work.
Dwight, I was getting ready to think about getting a 30" apple till I read your comments. All day I am on ArchiCad and do not switch much between different programs, could you give me a hint if the 30" apple would do better or 2-21" apples?
Thanks,
Joseph